| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,260 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 | The Rochester B on my '66 C-10's 250 is leaking air around the throttle shaft. When I pump the throttle, several drops of gas spray out around the shaft, and once its running, the idle smooths out when I put thumb over the end of the shaft. Is there a way that I can seal it off again?
I have a carb rebuild kit from LMC (had to replace the accelerator pump and bowl gasket). Would it have the part that I would need to seal it off again?
This weekend is the Food Lion Auto Fair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and I may look for another carb there if it the leak isn't easily fixable. The throttle bore is 1-9/16" but what is the bolt spacing for a 250?
Thanks everyone! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Sounds like you have a classic case of a worn throttle body. You will have to take the throttle body to a machine shop and have them machine it, the insert the proper sized bushing to the throttle shaft. Or just get a carb that has a tight throttle body. Either one wouldn't cost too much I would think.
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 | Thanks Apache, when I pump the throttle I can see the shaft jumping from about the 5 o'clock position to the 11 o'clock position. I called the machine shop that rebuilt my 250's head and they said that they don't work on carbs anymore. They did say that they know of a few places that still do, I'll have to call them back to get their names.
I haven't taken it apart yet and the '63 or '66 shop manuals don't show that part of the carb taken apart. I was hoping that there was an O-ring in there that I could swap out.
I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap Rochester B tomorrow when I'm strolling through the swap meet. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 11 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 11 | 66stepside: I have a Rochester B on my '57 GMC and just recently found an online manual site with complete ddiagrams and procedures. Google 'rochester carbs' and click on 'rochester carbs' Scroll down to 'Rochester carburetor manual newage metal.com . Hope this helps.
John
| | |
| |
| |