The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, WarEagle1, Jon G), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#672298 08/23/2010 1:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
I ran into a deal today that I couldn't pass up. A complete (mostly) 396 big block with 700R4 transmission and all the goodies for a great price. Now I'm looking for a set of headers that will fit this setup. I'd like to go with a long tube header to get the heat out of the engine bay as much as possible. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Thanks for the input!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
I do know that Sandersons will wiork, but they are not the long tube. Mine were ceramic coated and that helps with heat. My 409 ran normal temp with a stock 5 blade fan(409) and new radiator with a fan shroud. Under hood temps were not a problem at all. 525 HP/575 Ft/lbs.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Sandersons are the only ones that will fit w/o major modification. I did have to do a small (~1/4" frame relief on I think the driver side.) I put a 396 in my 65 - pretty much bolted right in. Used stock small block motor mounts moved forward a couple inches - there were factory holes in the frame already. Used a 6 cyl fan and spacer - had to shorten the fan spacer a little to clear the radiator. Only heat issues are the starter - header dump almost touches the starter end and it turns over real hard when hot - going to look at one of those hi torque mini starters.


Joe Sarazin
Depere WI
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks Joe, I did try the shortys from sanderson (BB4) but passenger side dump was (as you stated) right in front of the starter. The guy that had the engine before me had the same problem with his headers, and yes, it was tough starting when hot. I'm going to try the long tube (C7) headers and see how they work. The C6 is supposedly made for the C10, but I was told that it will only fit with the engine in the rear mounts. I'm trying to move the engine to the front mounts to give me more firewall clearance. If the measurements are true on the C7, I should be able to use the front mounts and still have clearance past the a-arm bushings, etc. I'll know more when I get the headers early next week.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0