The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 126 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 36
I had coolant in the number 3 cylinder. I'm not sure yet if it was a blown head gasket or a cracked head. I've got the head off now and I cleaned up the number 3 combustion chamber with a plumber's wire fitting brush on a drill. I can't see any cracks, of course I understand that doesn't mean anything. It should be magnafluxed.

My question is... The valve seats on a 261 Chevy, are they inserted, or are they just cut into the cast? I've worked on mostly aluminum heads all my life, Honda motorcycles, etc, etc. And they have the seats inserted of a diferent material.

I have pictures of my project in my photobucket
Thanks in advance for any replys

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
ND1956Chevy6400,

My bet is always on the head gasket. You can 'read' a head gasket for leaks. If you haven't wiped it off, or thrown it in the garbage, inspect it very closely where any water jacket penetration could have crept through the gasket.

They usually will leave a small track, or will actually eat the head gasket material. You might see a rust track on the block or head too!

If you clean the carbon out of the combustion chamber, you might be able to see inserted seats...they would have a tiny line around them where they were put into the pocket in the head.

Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think they do have insert seats. My 235 did.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
All the original heads that I have seen (probably 50-60) have had seats cut directly into the head. But, at the age these things are now most have had multiple valve jobs. Often that requires new seat inserts to get the valve back to the right height.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
If you find you have to add valve seats to the head, you might as well make sure they are hardened seats (but, maybe all seat inserts are hardened, now?).

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Originals are just cast and machined into the head, although most rebuilt heads have inserts cut into them.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0