| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,477 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#67193 10/15/2006 6:17 PM | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 36 | I had coolant in the number 3 cylinder. I'm not sure yet if it was a blown head gasket or a cracked head. I've got the head off now and I cleaned up the number 3 combustion chamber with a plumber's wire fitting brush on a drill. I can't see any cracks, of course I understand that doesn't mean anything. It should be magnafluxed.
My question is... The valve seats on a 261 Chevy, are they inserted, or are they just cut into the cast? I've worked on mostly aluminum heads all my life, Honda motorcycles, etc, etc. And they have the seats inserted of a diferent material.
I have pictures of my project in my photobucket Thanks in advance for any replys | | |
#67194 10/15/2006 8:20 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | ND1956Chevy6400,
My bet is always on the head gasket. You can 'read' a head gasket for leaks. If you haven't wiped it off, or thrown it in the garbage, inspect it very closely where any water jacket penetration could have crept through the gasket.
They usually will leave a small track, or will actually eat the head gasket material. You might see a rust track on the block or head too!
If you clean the carbon out of the combustion chamber, you might be able to see inserted seats...they would have a tiny line around them where they were put into the pocket in the head.
Stuart | | |
#67195 10/15/2006 8:42 PM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think they do have insert seats. My 235 did.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#67196 10/16/2006 12:42 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 | All the original heads that I have seen (probably 50-60) have had seats cut directly into the head. But, at the age these things are now most have had multiple valve jobs. Often that requires new seat inserts to get the valve back to the right height. | | |
#67197 10/16/2006 2:27 AM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | If you find you have to add valve seats to the head, you might as well make sure they are hardened seats (but, maybe all seat inserts are hardened, now?). | | |
#67198 10/16/2006 7:40 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Originals are just cast and machined into the head, although most rebuilt heads have inserts cut into them.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
| |
| |