The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,589
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Hey guys. I gotta brake problem I cant seem to solve. I have a 49 Chevy 3100 with the original brake setup. First off, I rebuilt the master cylinder myself but it had one bad pit in the cylinder but went ahead and tried it.

After bleeding and bleeding, it still took about 3 pumps on the pedal to get the brakes to stop the truck. So i figured it was that bad pit in the cylinder so I went ahead and bought a new master cylinder.

Installed it today and started bleeding brakes. Well after bleeding and bleeding, It takes about 10 pumps to get anything. Ive went through a whole 32 oz bottle of fluid and still no progress. After alot of pumping on the pedal, I only get about half pedal, then it dissappears after releasing for a few seconds.

So now the brakes are alot worse with the new cylinder than the old pitted one.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Could the new MC be bad?

Last edited by Jason49er; 08/20/2010 2:35 AM.

Working on a 1949 Chevrolet 3100 3 window with a 58 235.

http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/Jason77268
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Jason49er, did you bench bleed the new master cylinder before you installed it? It sounds to me like you have put enough fluid through your system, that you should have at least as good a pedal as your overhauled master cylinder gave you. Are your brakes adjusted up properly? I think by your description of what you have done that maybe the "new" master cylinder might have a problem. Make sure your brakes are adjusted up, and bleed carefully one more time, if they are no better I'd return the master cylinder to the seller.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0