| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,117 Posts1,056,298 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | I asked this question in the Paint section and Bill (Squeeze) was nice enough to answer, but I wanted a few more opinions.
My question is the spot welds on my new Mar-K tailgate. Should I level them or leave 'em as is? I am leaning toward leaving them as is but wanted to see what you all thought.
Does anyone have a close-up shot of a factory painted tailgate they could link me to?
Thanks. Michael | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I'd leave them. Once you get a few coats of paint on them they probably won't be noticeable. I doubt Mar-K's welds are as defined as the factory welds? Remember every place you work on metal has the potential to cause problems down the road, more sanding and more primer ect. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 | michael, i'd think that would be according to your own personal taste & what your trying to achieve. if you're going for pure restoration i'd just sand & paint. i'm mostly familiar with AD trucks & i know very little if any attempt was made at the factory to hide any spot welds any where on the truck. i'm not a purist restorer but i had a friend who was & he told me that too much smoothing can lose you points for what is called "over restoration". if your tailgate is bare metal you'll need to sand with at least 80 grit & once primed you'll see the spot welds won't be nearly as noticeable. robert | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I think you posted your paint and body question in the right place the first time. There is no need for double posts. | | |
| |
| |