Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,566 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | I have a 58 235 and getting a lot of exhaust smell in the cab which i suspect is coming from the pan breather. I was wondering if I could completely eliminate the pan breather tube if I have a breather in my valve cover?
I have seen the post on converting the breather into a PCV system using the vacuum from the fuel pump, but again, I'm wondering why I need anything at all if I have a breather in my valve cover.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The breather on the valve cover is the intake. Air is sucked out of the draft tube when the vehicle is moving. You need both. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | I have a 58 235 and getting a lot of exhaust smell in the cab which i suspect is coming from the pan breather. maybe you have holes in your cab and floor and also leaks in your exhaust system starting at the exhaust mainfold. i know on my 51 splasher that used to be in the truck, it leaked big time around the flapper shaft to the point the bushings were gone plus that annoying pft. pft. pft. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | i will check for exhaust leaks around the manifold and fenton headers. The motor has been totally re-done and runs like a top. I'm pretty sure i sealed up every hole i could find in the car too, which is why this is such a mystery. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | "exhaust smell" doesn't have to come from the engine - where do your pipes exit? at center rear [straight or turn-down tips], to the side in front or behind the tires? underneath just at the outlet of the muffler? or is it maybe just "engine" smell? like hot oil and curing fresh paint?
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | it's exhaust. From the headers, my pipes go down and angled back until they are under the truck then curve toward the center and straight back toward the smithy's then out the back just under the tailgate...the are about 6" apart. I took a 100 mile trip last weekend and got smoked out. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | that's your exhaust smell, the air movement brings it right back up to the cab, tips must be well out from under the truck, preferably aimed out or down ["just under the tailgate" looks more like a foot in from it] ... and those cute fat tips don't add anything to keeping the flow away from the truck, especially with a rear bumper ... like I said, exhaust is what comes out the pipe, not out of the engine compartment, unless you have audible leaks at the engine, "exhaust" smell in the cab is from poor system design
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 13 | | | |
| |