The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TUTS 59, dt235sd, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 148 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65775 09/15/2006 9:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
I need to order the rebuild kit(bearing ,bushings ,sync's , seal and gaskets) for my sm420 but do not know the right year it is. One kit goes from 47-53 and the other goes54-61. One the top rear of the case there is a serial # stamped, it is VP-93661. None of the codes inthe Chev . numbers I D book list a VP. On the drivers side in cast numbers is the #591907. Can anyone decifer these numbers and let me know what year it is so I can order the right kit????? Thanks in advance

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
1951 Elmer,

I don't have part numbers, but a helpful link to Novak Transmission.

Maybe the info shown will help ID your transmission.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm420.htm

They also have reasonably priced rebuild kits.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks Stuart; I called Novak and they said they have no way to tell by the numbers I had. The motor in my 51 is out of 1957 so I looked at the serial numbers for 57 trans and none of them are at all alike to the one one mine. The V in the serial # is really throwing me. Can anyone else give me a clue, could it be ouit of a GMC??? The guy rebuilding it says the syncs are alike so that would indicate it would be 54 and older, but he also said there is no neopreme oil seal so that would indicate 53 and older. Confusion!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cool link,thanks stuart

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
Elmer,
That case 591907 To the best of my knowledge was used 1948-54. If you look more at your case near the casting No. there is a date code, like (b 10 9) this would be Feb. 10 1949.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks Chevyb;I am thinking it is older than a 54, maybe a 52. I am going to order the 47-53 rebuild kit and see how it comes out. Thanks again

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Elmer,

VP-93661
VP

As you mostly likely know, the V was the 1952 model year code for a 4-speed, but the readily available book of codes does not show a "P".

Maybe the "P" is an "F" or maybe the "P" code indicates that the transmission was used on a larger truck in 1952. I believe the larger trucks did not have the torque-tube housing at the rear; but, that housing is easily swapped between any SM420 open- and closed- driveshaft transmissions.

Tim

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 91
Tim; Thanks for your responce. I am hoping it is a 52 transmission. I looked and looked at the P in the VP and it is a P. Maybe mis stamped and should have been the F. Here is one more mystery. The clutch is a 10 in. Most catalogues list the 10 in. as a 54 for a 3 speed . I don't know much about the interchaneability of pressure plates and clutches with different trans. Could this be ??Thanks

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
The clutch, pressure plate, and flywheels are interchangeable on most engines, as long as the parts match each other (and the ring gear on the flywheel matches the starter - 6v vs 12v). So, there is nothing particularly strange about a 10" clutch on a 54 engine.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0