The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, Danielbolt, cmayna, Lightholder's Dad, 1 invisible), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,496
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#656 10/10/2004 1:45 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
anyone have an after-market fuel gage on their AD truck, if so, what brand and did you use the sender required for the org...tank,,,,thanks,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#657 10/10/2004 1:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
joker, a 3/4in pecan branch about 42in long is the best i've run into . it'll last a long time and you can use it to prod carolyn when she's not waxing red ryder fast enough.

tony'n weatherford :p wink grin

#658 10/10/2004 2:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
joker,
I installed a set of gauges from Classic Instruments in my 49 pickup. I used their sender which was included. My original was pretty much rusted to oblivion so I couldn't have used it even if I wanted to.

#659 10/10/2004 2:52 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
The original sender was set up to transmit 0 ohms empty and 30 ohms full. Any aftermarket fuel gauge will work if it is set up to accept the 0 to 30 ohm range. Not a lot of gauges will, but there are a few. A buddy of mine got his gauges from Summit. (www.summitracing.com) I think it was the autometer brand.

#660 10/10/2004 2:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
Fred I had an after market fuel gage in my 51,3100 for some time .I just gave up on the stock gage ,never worked. Any way I used a after market fuel gage I bought in pep boys, SUNPRO, I buoght the sender with it. I used part of my orininal sender with fuel pick-up and and adapted new sender to it ,not hard at all lay the both of them side by side took me about five minutes to figure out ,put sender back in, hang gage under dash and everything works fine . Wayne old navy 51...........

#661 10/20/2004 6:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
guess that I bought the wrong gauge,, 53thearpy mentioned to get one that read 0 empty and 30 ohms full. the one I bought is 240 ohms empty and 33 ohms full so I guess I should look for another one or try to match to their sending unit, have not installed it yet but I am considering trying it, what do you think..regards..Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#662 10/20/2004 6:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Quote
Originally posted by joker:
...get one that read 0 empty and 30 ohms full. the one I bought is 240 ohms empty and 33 ohms full...
I was going to explain how to hang a resistor in parallel with the gauge to bring that 240 down to 30 ohms until I re-read your post and see that the gauge you have is reversed, with a high ohm reading empty and a low reading full. Sounds like you need the sending unit too.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
#663 10/20/2004 7:04 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Is that a yes or no that I should try it,,,


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#664 10/20/2004 11:26 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Joker,
If you are asking me whether or not to try it, I would say no. Let some of the wiser heads weigh in first. If one sender has the high ohm reading when it is low and the other when it is high, I am not sure how your gauge would read that. Maybe backwards. (Or maybe let all the smoke out.) If one sender was 240 ohms full and zero (or a low reading) empty and the other was 30 ohms full and zero empty, then a resistor in the neighborhood of 33 - 39 ohms (and at least a 5W rating) across the two leads would bring the 240 ohms down to 30ish. But yours is reversed. The principal does not apply.

Pity too, that would have been too easy a fix. The resistor would probably cost about a quarter.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
#665 10/21/2004 1:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Brad, thanks, I went back to NAPA and got a sender that will match this guage, I will install it tomorrow and hope that I can be able to tell how much gas I have, tired of useing the old write down mileage thing,,,regards,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0