| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
78
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,698 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 | Hey all, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I got a free IHC Scout with a Chevy 250 six, granny 4 speed, Rockwell xfer case?? and 35" mudders. Well this last weekend some fresh gas, and a fresh battery and she came to life. Actually ran pretty decent considering it has sat for nearly 4 years. Clutch, once broke free and new fluid worked great. Brakes need some work, one dragging one not working others iffy... But worst thing right now is the throttle linkage was extremely sticky, it was just about all or nothing.
What I'm wondering from the guys here is does anyone know which transfer case was used in the 60's/70's with the 250/granny 4spd?? I think this was a direct transplant from an early chevy 4x4. But it is definitely newer than my 1948 Chevys 235 and 4 speed.... Thanks again Guys. Garry 1948 Chevy PU 235/4spd 196X IHC Scout 250/4spd Chevy 1966 Datsun L520 PU 1965 Datsun L320 PU 1963 Datsun NL320 Sport's PU 1932 F*#% Model B PU 1948 Allis Chalmers Model G tractor (And ALL INLINERS!!!!!)
Garry K in Pac Nor West 1948 Chevy PU 235 SM420 4 spd 1932 **** B pu 1964 Datsun 4x4 with SBC, SM465 4spd and Rockwell xfer Dana 44Fr and 12 Bolt Rr.
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Sounds like a nice setup. I used to have a '66 Scout with the 152 ci slant four in it. I miss that old truck. I always thought a six would be nice in one of these. From what I have seen, the sixties/seventies Chevy trucks had either Rockwell(don't know the model number) or New Process 205 transfer cases in them. I've seen them both ways. I don't know much about the Rockwell, But the NP 205 is a very good case. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 | I was told it was a Rockwell transfer case. Does this narrow the year search down at all? One of the reasons I'm trying to find out, is that the truck doesn't have a front driveline installed. And I would like to know the part number for a stock u-joint before I go and have a drive line made. Actually I have a driveline left over from anothe project that might work, but I need to get the sizes from a factory u-joint to try to research a alternate u-joint that will match both the Transfer case and my other driveline... Thanks for your reply. Can anyone else offer any insight to the year span of this combination. 250 six, sm-465(?), rockwell transfercase... Thanks in advance, Garry
Garry K in Pac Nor West 1948 Chevy PU 235 SM420 4 spd 1932 **** B pu 1964 Datsun 4x4 with SBC, SM465 4spd and Rockwell xfer Dana 44Fr and 12 Bolt Rr.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 53 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 53 | Based on the '66, '69, and '71 K20s I owned: The Rockwell was still used in 1969, but the NP205 was used in 1971. Not sure which one was used in 1970, or if it was switched midyear. Also, the 1969 Rockwell was directly attached to the transmission. The 1966 was divorce-mounted (short driveshaft between tranmission and transfer case); again not sure about 1967 and 1968. The 250 6 cylinder made its debut in 1966. Hope this helps a little. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 53 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 53 | I forgot to add.... the SM465 replaced the SM420 in 1968. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 83 | Thanks alot! I have a SM 420 in my 1948 Chevy, so I had figured the combo was later than 67 as I knew the SM420 went to 67. This transfer case is directly mounted to the transmission, and the shifter is just a forward/aft straight line shifter. So based on the info you just gave me, I/m guessing the combination came from a 68-69 maybe 70 chevy 4x4??? Does anyone out there have any more input if this deduction is close? Thanks for everyones help. The transfer case has an epoxy-repaired rear cover plate, and I'd like to locate a replacement, so knowing the year span would be greatly appreciated. Have a great week, Garry
Garry K in Pac Nor West 1948 Chevy PU 235 SM420 4 spd 1932 **** B pu 1964 Datsun 4x4 with SBC, SM465 4spd and Rockwell xfer Dana 44Fr and 12 Bolt Rr.
| | |
| |
| |