The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (LAJones48, Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Waveski, Shaffer's1950, Rusty Heaps, 1 invisible), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#652851 06/06/2010 10:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
I need to remove the gas tank on a 50 GMC, can anyone direct me to a step by step on how to remove the seat assembly ? I have the bottom cushion out but can't seem to figure out the slide track removal.....Thanks

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
gmguy, I'm assuming the GMC is the same as the Chevy set-up.
Go to the very rear of each slide and put your hand down the back of the floor support,you will feel 2 of 1/2" nuts, they might need some spray to free them up.
There's 2 on each side.
At the front of the slides they simply bolt through the support that's welded to the floor.Again 2 1/2" nuts per side.
You should then be able to lift the complete seat and slider assembly out.
The slides will remain attached to the seat frame.
Get some one to give you a hand,it's awkward and heavy!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
Thank you so much for the tip about the location of the bolts holding down the seat assembly ! I never thought I would need help from someone in Scotland during the repair on my gas tank ? By the way congradulations on Winning the Indy 500 again ! I am sure all in Scotland are proud of Dario, I will tip a pint tonight to My hero Jim Clark.......GMGUY

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Glad to help,
Scotland has had a history of good racing drivers,even if you have a good 'Scottish' surname like Franchitti!
You are right about Jim Clark though,what a legend.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
Jock,
I took a look at your AD, nice work, my grandfather worked for GM in New York City during the entire time these pick-ups where built. He was in charge of arranging shipping to European cities for all product GM built at the time.....Keep up the good work you are doing....GMGUY

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
I removed the seat assembly on my 50 GMC 1 ton today, what a job ! It had not been removed for about 30 years and every nut, bolt and clutch screw was stuck pretty well. The back nuts that hold the sliders in place where the hardest to remove, Don't forget to remove the two springs that pull the seat back to it's rearmost position before you try to lift the seat out like I did. Once the seat was out the tank removal was straight forward, removed the two nuts holding the straps in place, loosened the screws holding the connecter pipes on the tank filler and pulled up on the gas filler tube, this disconnected it from the tank but left the filler neck assembly in place in the cab wall. disconnected the sending unit wires and removed the wire from the clips holding them in place.After disconnecting the line to the engine under the cab, unscrew the fuel cutoff and the tank came free.I will be having the tank boiled tomorrow, will update on progress....gmguy

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
need help with pulley system on slide assembly ?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Thanks for the kind words gmguy,glad you got the seat out,eventually!
Springs? I didn't find any that would do this job on mine....
Perhaps they were removed back in the dark mists of time by a PO over the past 60 years.
I haven't tried to mess with the pulley set-up on mine.Just a clean up and lube.
I'm a firm believer in if it aint broke don't fix it!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
The puller system is stuck pretty good, not sure how to remove the clamps holding the wire and pulley system together from the seat frame ?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
gmguy, I'm hoping to get some garage time tonight.
I'll dig my seat frame out and have a look.
Mine worked fine so I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to it.
I'll get more familiar with it tonight!




1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0