| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
139
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#65250 09/03/2006 12:39 AM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 30 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 30 | I noticed that I have a slight oil coming from the manifold near the oil sender. I noticed a small trail of oil down the block between cylinders 5 & 6. I also have a small exhaust leak here (fixing it today). Is the oil leak an indicator that the head needs to be retorqued? This engine has about 1200 miles on it after a rebuild - should I retorque the head?
1961 Chevrolet K10
| | |
#65251 09/03/2006 2:39 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I don't think that that's oil. I'll just about bet that it's gas. Looks like you've got a failed intake gasket. As far as re-torque on the head, no, an oil leak is not an indicator, there should not be any kind of a leak. Re-torqueing the head would not hurt, though. And make sure to torque the manifold bolts, too. Then recheck the valve lash, as it can change after re-torquing the head.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#65252 09/03/2006 3:19 AM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 30 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 30 | You could be right, considering this. I definitely had a problem with fuel pooling in the intake manifold, due to the float level on the carb being way off. I've fixed that, and am waiting for a replacement exhaust manifold before I get things back together.
1961 Chevrolet K10
| | |
#65253 09/03/2006 3:27 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I had the same thing happen to me, like i said, torque the manifold bolts. that'll go a long way to helping seal the gaskets. You might have to use a 3/8" torque wrench to get to the bolts. And replace the locating pins on the ends with bolts, that helps too. The pins just thread out, they will be 3/8 16 NC.
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |
| |