| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,681 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#65134 08/31/2006 9:39 PM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | Upon dis-assembly of my 51 216 thriftmaster I noticed that the oil passages through the rocker shaft were plugged up with slugg, after cleaning I noticed that the shaft could be installed with it's oil ports positioned up (towards the rocker arm oil holes)or down. The manual does not specify, it only mentions that the shaft plugged ends are away from the rocker arm oil connector. Anybody know which is the correct position of these oiler holes? Thanx Will
Best Regards Will
| | |
#65135 08/31/2006 11:07 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | Welcome Will to the bolt. I too have a 216 I just had it rebuilt but didn't do the work my self. I am only installing. I am sure someone will chime in on this for you. There seems to be quite a lot of helpfull people in here. I do know this is a low oil pressure engine. On a freash engine I am told that the oil pressure will be close to 15 lbs.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | |
#65136 08/31/2006 11:19 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | WillsLimo,
I will hazard an opinion...the holes go DOWN. I think if you look closely at the shafts, you will see much more wear on the bottom, the side with the holes. This is an effect of the various components trying to push the rocker arm up.
I have cleaned these shafts before. They can be difficult to open up 100%. I think I remember driving the plug out, reaming and cleaning until no crap was left inside. A bath in carburetor cleaner would be the cats meow for this situation.
Stuart | | |
#65137 09/01/2006 12:04 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 |
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
#65138 09/01/2006 12:19 AM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Holes down. If you put the holes up the rocker arms would get no oil until the shafts filled completely up with oil & started forcing it out the top. With the tiny oil feed line they would run dry for quite a time each time you started up.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
#65139 09/01/2006 12:57 AM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | Thanks a million for the info.......!
Best Regards Will
| | |
| |
| |