| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 42 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 42 | I apologize if this is an annoying n00b question, but I am having trouble discerning the individual differences between the payload ratings. I understand that the cabs are similar/the same, but what exactly is different. Yes, mine is a dually, whereas the 1/2 tons are not and so maybe my rearend is a bit different, but I don't comprehend the extent to which they are yet.
I have a 1946 3500 (1 ton- so apparently it is more likely a 3800) and the 1/2 tons are more ubiquitous (relatively!). I would like to have an intimate understanding of what is interchangeable and what is not. Are the fenders the same? The chassis? The engine appears to be the same, but I'm just getting into this and appreciate the help from those of you with first-hand experience and a greater knowledge base!
Cheers~
Last edited by Overgripped; 05/10/2010 4:32 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Jim Carter, Chevs of the 40s, and Classic Parts catalogs are one way to quickly see what is interchangeable. They are listed in the Links section of Stovebolt.com This 1946 Chevrolet Truck Specification Manual has a lot of information about chassis, rear-ends, braking systems, etc. A Truck Shop Manual is on-line and, if you plan to keep your truck for a while, you should consider buying one. Differences in parts between different sizes of trucks are often made evident in this manual. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 42 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 42 | Thanks, I have placed an order from Jim Carter for the shop manual. I am looking through the 1946 specifications online and it appears that my truck is not a 3500 (I got this from the insurance card), rather it is a 3803, or more likely a 3808/9?
I have so much to learn, it's great!
Last edited by Overgripped; 05/10/2010 4:26 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Overgripped,
After looking over the manuals and other resources, post your questions this forum (General Truck Talk) or in one of the other specialty fora (if your question is only pertinent to a 1-ton truck, there is a One Ton "Tons 'o Fun" forum that should get you quick responses).
| | |
| |
| |