The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (frogfarmer), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#642085 04/30/2010 4:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
I've noticed, and read, that the GMC radiators have a relief valve, and the cap is fixed. On Chevys, the cap is vented and no relief valve. My truck is a GMC and has the relief valve. When I took the radiator to service, the guys almost cut the relief valve (dindn't knew what it was, never senn one), but I stopped them. Shall I trust the valve is working properly (it is not stuck) and buy a closed cap or by the vented cap, just in case. If my truck doesn't have the thermostat, do I need to buy it?

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
If the relief valve works, use it and a closed cap. It won't hurt anything if you use a pressure relief cap.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
How do I know it works? I just noticed it is not stuck, as I pointed and that's it. Does it has a spring? The acutal movement is very little. Obviously I can't go to the radiator shop for help.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
somewhere i saw a picture of one apart. all it basically is is a cartridge type valve that is held in with a snap ring. they were set for 4 lbs. so get a higher setting cap and run it and see if it works if it does then everythings good. i add a clear hose to the end of my overflows just so they stick out far enough from the bottom of the radiator that i can see the end of it and use it as a telltale as to when the caps or buttons are pushing out fluid.

you should have a thermostat. if you dont then it was removed for some reason. if you add one be prepared for something out of the ordinary. hi collant temp, leaking relief button, blown ranco valve but then i dont know why you would need one at your location. every truck i had that i addded a thermostat to something happened and then i say thats why they took it out. i fix the reason then reinstall and life is good again for a while.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My GMC radiator had the relief valve. I didn't trust it and when I had a new core installed, I had it removed. They also mounted a nice copper drain tube down the side for me. I use a 7 lb cap right now but I really should put a 4 lb one in.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
Originally Posted by truckernix
I use a 7 lb cap right now but I really should put a 4 lb one in.
last spring i was at a show and the gasket on my zero cap crapped out. i couldnt get a 4lb johnny on the spot so i opted for a 7lb to get it home. the button wasnt working and by the time i got home the radiator sprung numerous leaks luckily for be ut was at the top at the tank. since then i got it recored and use a 4lb cap since i could find another zero cap along with the 4lb button.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
Thanks for the advice. The guys of the radiator shop added a long tube that goes all the way down of the radiator, guess it is a good detail. I'll always have the 4# cap.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0