The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (WICruiser, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Nick in Manitou), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63695 07/31/2006 8:50 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
I have searched the forums, and have not found the info that I need. My question is, Where do I find the info on my trucks rearend that identifies what the ratio is? It is a '62 1/2 ton SWB. I believe it was originally a straight 6, with a 3 speed. Did original v8 trucks have a different ratio? I have a friend that has a good rear out of a '64, that was originally a V8 truck. I am wondering if that rear end would have a higher ratio.

Thanks in advance
Mark


1962 Stepside
1948 GMC
1969 Chevelle
http://mgiles5.photosite.com/
#63696 07/31/2006 10:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The best way is to pull the cover off & count the teeth or look at the markings on the edge of the ring gear or end of the pinion. It will have numbers like 9-41 or 8-31. Divide the numbers to get the ratio. You can count the number of turns on the drive shaft to turns of the drum but if you can,t keep both wheels turning together it gets confusing. Those are two different kinds of rear ends. I am considering the same swap & I think they are interchangable.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#63697 08/01/2006 12:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Your '62 rearend is probably a 3.90
That '64 could be a 3.73 a 3.90 or a 4.11
They are very different rearends I understand (meaning that the 3rd member doesn't swap out or anything).
Correct me if i'm worng.
Good Luck

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am hoping to get a better highway gear. The original one is not freeway friendly. The '64 rear that I have access to, probably isn't any better that the one that I have. Anybody have any other suggestions?


1962 Stepside
1948 GMC
1969 Chevelle
http://mgiles5.photosite.com/
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Some of the v8 trucks had a more highway friendly 3.38 rearend gear. I don't remember where I got these codes but am told they are stamped on the outside of the rearend.

MA 3.90
MB 3.38
MC 3.90
MD 3.90
ME 3.38
MF 3.90
MG 3.90

These were listed for 1961 models. Hope this helps.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Those codes are the same for '62, there also codes MT and MU that are 4.11. the '64 diff would be a Salisbury type, no 3rd member. The housing is 1 peice. For '64 the gear codes are;
WA,WC,WE,WG,WJ-3.73;WB,WF-3.07;WD,WH-4.11. I have been told that some parts will interchange with the earlier diff, but i have yet to confirm this, one day i'm giong to check a Hollander manual on that. 1 note-the '63/64/early'65 12 bolt diff has 17 spline axles,they can be converted by swapping to the 30 spline axle if you want to add a traction aid. There are no 17 spline traction aids for the 17 spline diff.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
An easier way then turning the driveshaft is to jack just one wheel off the ground, make an index mark from the pinion yoke to the housing, a mark on the tire (or use the valve stem position) and turn the tire TWO complete revolutions. Counting the driveshaft revolutions will give the ratio.


Evan
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,m considering using a 71-2 complete rear end & using 67-70 axles to maintain 6 bolt wheels. Most of those were 3.08. I hope someone will jump in & help us.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 49
67-70 axles are .75" too short.


64 c10
89 rs
62 econoline
50 ford coupe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0