Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
136
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#63695 07/31/2006 8:50 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 | I have searched the forums, and have not found the info that I need. My question is, Where do I find the info on my trucks rearend that identifies what the ratio is? It is a '62 1/2 ton SWB. I believe it was originally a straight 6, with a 3 speed. Did original v8 trucks have a different ratio? I have a friend that has a good rear out of a '64, that was originally a V8 truck. I am wondering if that rear end would have a higher ratio.
Thanks in advance Mark | | |
#63696 07/31/2006 10:17 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The best way is to pull the cover off & count the teeth or look at the markings on the edge of the ring gear or end of the pinion. It will have numbers like 9-41 or 8-31. Divide the numbers to get the ratio. You can count the number of turns on the drive shaft to turns of the drum but if you can,t keep both wheels turning together it gets confusing. Those are two different kinds of rear ends. I am considering the same swap & I think they are interchangable. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#63697 08/01/2006 12:52 AM | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | Your '62 rearend is probably a 3.90 That '64 could be a 3.73 a 3.90 or a 4.11 They are very different rearends I understand (meaning that the 3rd member doesn't swap out or anything). Correct me if i'm worng. Good Luck | | |
#63698 08/01/2006 1:13 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 | Thanks for the replies, guys. I am hoping to get a better highway gear. The original one is not freeway friendly. The '64 rear that I have access to, probably isn't any better that the one that I have. Anybody have any other suggestions? | | |
#63699 08/01/2006 3:23 AM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 61 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 61 | Some of the v8 trucks had a more highway friendly 3.38 rearend gear. I don't remember where I got these codes but am told they are stamped on the outside of the rearend.
MA 3.90 MB 3.38 MC 3.90 MD 3.90 ME 3.38 MF 3.90 MG 3.90
These were listed for 1961 models. Hope this helps. | | |
#63700 08/01/2006 3:43 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Those codes are the same for '62, there also codes MT and MU that are 4.11. the '64 diff would be a Salisbury type, no 3rd member. The housing is 1 peice. For '64 the gear codes are; WA,WC,WE,WG,WJ-3.73;WB,WF-3.07;WD,WH-4.11. I have been told that some parts will interchange with the earlier diff, but i have yet to confirm this, one day i'm giong to check a Hollander manual on that. 1 note-the '63/64/early'65 12 bolt diff has 17 spline axles,they can be converted by swapping to the 30 spline axle if you want to add a traction aid. There are no 17 spline traction aids for the 17 spline diff.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#63701 08/01/2006 3:47 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | An easier way then turning the driveshaft is to jack just one wheel off the ground, make an index mark from the pinion yoke to the housing, a mark on the tire (or use the valve stem position) and turn the tire TWO complete revolutions. Counting the driveshaft revolutions will give the ratio.
Evan
| | |
#63702 08/01/2006 7:24 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I,m considering using a 71-2 complete rear end & using 67-70 axles to maintain 6 bolt wheels. Most of those were 3.08. I hope someone will jump in & help us. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#63703 08/02/2006 2:29 AM | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 49 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 49 | 67-70 axles are .75" too short.
64 c10 89 rs 62 econoline 50 ford coupe
| | |
| |