The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DaveV, Phak1, Gray_Ghost, GMCJammer51), 156 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,551
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Hey guys
I am looking for some help. I did some searches over the last few days and have not had any luck finding the info that I need.

I am trying to find out what I need for a 228 ci engine rebuild. When I look online at the parts houses - all I find is 216 and 235.

Does my 228 take the same rebuild kit (gaskets and such) that a 235 takes - our am I going to need some special gaskets made?


I planned on rebuilding a 235 for practice and then selling the engine. I got a 52 Chevy driveline and suspension for $300 Figured that it was a good deal that I could not pass up. So the worst case scenario is that I buy a 235 kit and see if it fits the 228. Only problem is that I am ready to play with the 235 and the 228 is still in the truck.

Any help is appreciated.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
The 228 GMC engine is similar but very different from a 235. I don't think a part will interchange, except maybe the rear main seal. You will need a rebuild kit specifically for a 228. You may be able to find what you need from NAPA, CarQuest, O'Reilly or other chain stores. Many of the vendors listed on the links page of this website have GMC parts. Try Patrick's, Rock Auto, Jim Carter, and others. Also try the oldgmctrucks.com website for GMC specific info. They also have a great forum with lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks.
Good luck! smile


Professional Novice
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
235 kit will not work on the 228.
The head on your 228 is prone to cracking. Have it cleaned and magnafluxed before rebuilding it. There are venders who sell all the necessary components for the head job. I believe best gasket and felpro have gasket kits for the gmc engines. There is plenty of info on these gmc inlines at oldgmctrucks.com or on the inliners site.

John

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 41
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 41
Hello There,

I just rebuilt a 228 last year. The rebuild kits are not the same as the 235 or 216 or 261.

GMC's are a different although similar monsters.

As far as gaskets, those were easy, I got those at NAPA and they were felpro brand. I looked for the box for a p/n, but I must have thrown it out. I paid about $100 bucks for the set.

Rod and main bearings are different if I recall, but are the same for the GMC 228, 248, 270 and 302 I believe.

I think that the cam bearings are the same between the 235 and 228, but the cams are different.

Pushrods and lifters interchange, but if you have them you won't need to replace. Its possible your cam is re-grindable if you have it, but even if you don't I was able to get one from NAPA as well for about $79.

Pistons and rods are different also, but if you have the rods you're golden. I got pistons and pins through Venolia for about $350 for the set. A bit pricey but they were not of inferior quality as from EGGE and they have them as well, in both domed and flat top, depending on your head.
I have a set of domed 40 over pistons and rods if you want them for pretty cheap and some other parts as well.

Freeze plugs are at NAPA and the dorman part number is listed at oldgmctrucks.com.

I rebult my head completely with new guides and valves and seats and the valves were the only pricey thing there. I think that I paid $12 a valve, but they were stainless and made in the USA. I got them through my machine shop here in So Cal and if you need the number I can run out and source it, but if you have your old ones, they might be workable. Mine weren't except for one and so I replaced them all.

I think that basically covers it. In the end all the parts are still really accesible and not much more pricey than if you were building a 216 or 235. I actually think that I soent about $200 less than when I rebult my 261. Plus I think that the GMC engine it much more heavy duty than the 216 or 235 of that same vintage.

54Monster

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Thanks guys
That was more info than I have been able to pull up - especially the link to Kanter.com and the Patricks recommendation.

One of the first things that you learn on the web - is to be careful of who you trust. I will look into the Kanter folks and also try out Patricks and the local Napa. Those Napa guys always suprise me about what they have - dont know why they did not come to mind when I started looking up the info.


I knew that the 228 and 235 were different - just did not know how different.

Thanks for giving me a better starting point.

54 Monster - I may PM you in the upcoming days to see what you have available. We have a plant in Fontana and I have a couple of sales guys over there that owe me a few favors - that could run some errands for me. So I may contact you after a bit.

thanks again

Mike


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0