Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,376 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | I recently switched to an alternator(3wire) from generator.Also put in new gauges(oil,temp,volt).Ran alt wires :1 to batt directly(10awg).2nd wired to first.3rd to "hot"wire(12awg) going to starter post.-Keep having DEAD battery Ran volt wire to "old"external regulator.It only needed a hot ONLY on when key is on&ground;power doesnt flow thru it.Cannt get pertronix electronic ign w/masterblaster2 coil to work. What's going on?Why would BATTERY drain?  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Im sure somebody has an idea what is going on?I realize these are seperate problems | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | I setflywheel mark/ball.Not sure about that magnet ring on distriburtor shaft.kinda felt like it seated.followed petronics to the letter.truck still wont run. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | dtwbcs; check your alt. wiring according to a reply to REAL_RAT_FINK who has a similar question. I don't know nuttin' aboout the Pertronix, maybe someone else will add something. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Wiring for alt on my truck : main wire(#10)&2nd wire tapped onto it; are run directly to battery.Other wire(#12 is going to ignition wire.Is that correct?I guess I could run to "old"regulator-
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | dtwbcs,
Lots of things going on so I'm not sure if this will help...I would make sure that those new gauges were switched through the ignition to only be ON when the key was ON. The wire going to DA#1 has to be switched too...it can't be ON all the time, this would discharge your battery.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | good advice.will look into them.gauges were tapped into existing dash lighting.volt gauge tapped battery tterminal at old regulator."the wire to the DA#1"not sure what terminal you are referring to? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Alt is wired directly to battery.Should I wire alt to the "regulator"terminal marked batt?would that prevent discharging the battery? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Anyone know about the pertronix setup?I went ahead&ordered a "flamethrower"coil to go with what I have.Not sure if that will solve the "NOT STARTING" problem.put old points/coil&it fired right up--What is the trick?  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Checked that regulator "terminal"marked batt.It has constant feed from battery.If I run Alt wire to that terminal I believe that I would STILL have a battery discharge.running out of places to "check"that are suppose to be "hot"only when the key is ON. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | ran the excitor wire to the fuel gauge for power.Alternator is working fine now. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I ran my exciter wire from the ignition switch,turn key on and excites it. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | So do these last few posts mean that if you don't power the wire that goes to #1 on the 10SI alternator that the thing won't produce a charge? Stuart | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | Yes.I learned that it needs a power source that is "controlled"by the key.Had battery draining before.Alt has a sensor inside?. | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 40 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2008 Posts: 40 | The spade terminal on the alternator closest to the BAT output stud MUST turn off with the ignition or you will have a 2-3amp drain. This terminal is designed to be connected thru and idiot light to the ignition or some other switched power source. Some [very few} 10si will cut in from residual magnetism alone especialy with increased RPM but thats not how there intended to operate. 1wire alternators use a self energising regulator and don't require an exciter wire. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 643 | works fine now.Thanks eveyone for all of the advice- | | |
| |