The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, tclederman, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 116 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Since I’ve got the motor and steering gear out, and the entire front clip off the old gal this winter I figured it’s time to finish up the front end work. All that’s left on the suspension/steering now is to clean up/check out the springs and replace the bushings.

Since I don’t have access to a 1/2-ton front spring to compare my 3/4-ton front spring to I’m gonna have to depend on my you, my buddies here on the bolt. I’ve been under the impression that the 3100 and 3600 springs and their mounting were the same. In fact the whole front section of the frame should be the same on both from my past research.

In The Filling Station’s catalog I’m looking at the front shackle bushing info and they make no mention of the 3/4-ton in their listing; http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000014a~Z5Z5Z56330~P6.00~~~~S2UH0FGXW024119617636b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000014x (sorry bout the hyperlink, cant post a two line link I guess.)
The listing for the front spring-rear eye threaded bushing seems fragmented again. It clearly says 3/4 & 1-ton but doesn’t mention the 1/2-ton, which I thought was supposed to be the same as the 3/4-ton.

I want to get the order in today so I’d appreciate hearing about your experience or any feedback you may have.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/19/2010 3:25 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1
The front bushing s are different on the 3/4t. They are larger

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Again all I know about is GMC. Front shackle kits for 1/2 and 3/4 ton were the same. 1 ton was different. That was a while kit. Bushings, threaded pins. shackles, cork and zerk.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Got it guys, I pulled it all apart before lunch and yes Ken,after looking in the parts book, they are the same.
Front shackles are fine, no wear at all, just need new seals for them, rear bushings and bolts are shot.
Got'em ordered already.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 53
When I rebuilt my 51 3600 the parts all came from a local spring shop in Quincy, IL. They had current catalogs for the old trucks. They did suggest using a thin section of rubber hose for the new seals.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I'm gonna stay with the original seals, i.e. cork. I'm going to make up a punch to punch out my own.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
I think some of the vendors sell cork seals.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0