| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 43 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 43 | Looking for a source on Whitewall Tires to fit on my stock rims, which I believe are 16.5" dia. I've looked at a lot of pictures showing restored trucks with "thin stripe" white wall tires. Are these available for the 16.5" rim, or have they switched to a different size rim. The truck I just bought '62 1/2 ton has 245/75r16 on it, which I've been told is a NO NO! Any help would be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 69 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 69 | Do you have any pictures of them? I know there were 16" wheels for the 1/2 ton 6 lug pattern, but I am not aware of any 16.5" wheels with 6 lugs. All of the 16.5" wheels that I have seen were 3/4 or 1ton wheels with 8 lugs. Anyone else seen 6 lug 16.5 wheels?
TruckNut
Be kind, courteous, cheerful and helpful - And someone will take advantage of you.
"Quiting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times." Mark Twain
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 43 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 43 | I'll need to measure again! They are 6-lug (6x5.5) I know that much. Were all the wheels on 62 1/2 tons 16"? That would great if they are - might be able to find the right tire. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | 15", 16" & 17.5" wheels were available in the 6 lug x 5.5" pattern, per the CHEVROLET Truck Data Book of November 1, 1965. It does not list any 6 x 5.5 in a 16.5" dia. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | If you have 245/75/16s currently on the truck, the wheels are 16", not 16.5. 16" tires, while they will go over the lip of a 16.5" wheel, will not seat up on them. The sidewall will blow out during mounting first.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 45 | Sounds like you're measuring the outside diameter of the rim which is not correct as the tire obviously sits inside of the lip...I agree that what you have is indeed a 16" and NOT a 16.5" | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 | Safe assumption on the 16" rims. The rim width will determine how wide a tire you can install. 205 is about as wide as you want with 5.5"-6" width. Coker Tire offers all kinds of vintage tires...I prefer modern radials for driveability.
cm If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.1965 Chevy C10 | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 |
Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 01/21/2010 6:52 PM.
| | |
| |
| |