The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DHedrick, WarEagle1), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,375
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#610359 01/15/2010 8:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
I have a 56 3/4 ton which had a hydraulic dump which was really usable in it's day. However, it seems to me 1/2's are just nice as a runaround/driver. What is the difference in wheel base from a 1/2 to 3/4 and box length. I think the 3/4 box is 8'. This is a stepside and I think they were all stepsides at that time. The shorter box length sems to be most popular and sell better??? any help, ideas thanks, headscratch tom

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
There was a time when 1/2 ton was the desirable thing, but recently there has been more interest in 3/4 ton lately. 1/2 ton are geared faster, get better gas mileage and don't ride quite as rough as a 3/4 ton. I like 3/4 ton, but If you are worried about reselling, a 1/2 ton would probably be easier to sell later on.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You should be able to find dimensions here with a little looking.

I started out with 1/2-ton trucks but have now moved on to preferring the 1-ton trucks. If I were worried about the resale value of my toys I'd put my money in the stock market. Very few people make money playing with old trucks.

I agree with crenwelge, you'll probably find it easier to sell a 1/2-ton truck since that is what most people seem to want. But you're not likely to sell it to me.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
If you want to make a small amount of cash selling an old truck, start with large amount....

reading between the lines, it looks like you may be trying to get rid of your truck and are looking for suggestions. As was mentioned, the 1/2 tons seem to sell easier as people want to either restore them or rod them. The 3/4 and larger are usually picked up by people that like old iron, may restore them, however usually use them as trucks.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32





Let me try this again 1/2 vs 3/4 ton: Does a 1/2 have a 71/2ft long box while a 3/4 ton has an 8 ft long box? Secondly, does the half ton have a shorter wheel base,any idea what the difference is between 1/2 and 3/4 ton wheel bases.
No, I don't plan on selling unless they take my drivers license as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth. thanks, tom









Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Are you talking Chev or GMC? GMC 1/2 tons came with either 114 or 123 1/4 Wheelbase. 3/4 ton came with 123 1/4 wheelbase only. 1 ton came with a choice of 114, 123 1/4 or 135 wheel base. Chev had only the short wheel base on their half tons through early 55. I don't know much about Chev 55 and later.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks,I'm sure my GMC is the 123 1/4. Thus a short box would not likely work.. tom


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0