The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (bucktruck, dt235sd, Stelonlevo, Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#602384 12/18/2009 6:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
I know from ordering carpets for this one that the 60's pedal configuration is different than the previous models and less modification is needed for the conversion to power brakes. But does this limit the number of vehicles I can choose from when looking for a donor or give me more options? Do I still have to reinforce the firewall or does the M/C bolt on? The deeper I look into this the more confused I get,......


1966 Chevy C10
The Pumpkin Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics
Just wait 'til I'm done!
[
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
There are kits available, but I think I know that the early '70's truck components are "bolt-on".
Perhaps a combination of new & used parts will get you what you're after.
Best luck.

cm


If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.
1965 Chevy C10
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
There is a guy named Captain Fab, one heck of a nice guy that builds just about everything you need to do a conversion and is very reasonable. You can find him in the forsale section of
www.67-72chevytrucks.com He makes all sorts of different plates for different conversions, even a hydroboost plate. Look at the 60-66 for sale area. Quality stuff too.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
K
Kev Offline
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
I put a power booster (a big honker too) from a late 70's full size GM car on my 66 K-20. I had to do a little fabrication on the bracket to make it so it would bolt up, but didn't have to reinforce the firewall. I used a dual master cylinder from a 1968 truck and replumbed my lines. Works great !!

Kev #611187 01/18/2010 11:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Factory power brakes were available on the '63-'66 Chevy trucks, so now worries on finding a direct bolt-in power brake booster assembly. I have done this conversion many times on my 4-5-6 Chevy trucks, as well as, several customer's trucks. Let me know if you need tech support or parts for a factory power brake conversion, utilizing factory power brake components. The conversion can be done in a few hours and does not require breaking into the system or bleeding the brakes, if you keep drums on all four corners.

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
I hadn't considered the possibility of being able to keep my drums. I thought I had to convert to disk. I would really rather not get into suspension and replacing spindles and the like. I am pleased with the line of the truck the way it is and any money I may save can be used elsewhere. The engine needs alot of clean up, chrome and paint, new bed wood and stainless. The list goes on and on. I have it on jack stands now, powder coating the exhaust manifold, so its a good time to convertthe brakes. I guess I need to google and see what I need to do. Any help would be appreciated.


1966 Chevy C10
The Pumpkin Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics
Just wait 'til I'm done!
[
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Ken:

Send me an e-mail and I will provide the information you need to convert your '66 to power brakes using factory equipment and avoid the need to break into the system, therefore, you don't even have to bleed your brakes. The factory set-up utilizes the factory single chamber master cylinder and it doesn't need to be removed from the truck, simply unbolted from the firewall and reattached to the factory booster. It is a relatively simple modification and well worth the upside benefit of having power brakes. Please let me know if I can help.

Tony Smith
[email protected]


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0