Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,569 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | Hi everyone,
I disassembled my front drum brakes on my 58 1/2ton apache. It has been a while since I tore it apart and now I'm having trouble getting it all back together. I'm hoping I haven't lost any parts:(
I have seen drum brake diagrams before but I can't seem to find them on here. Does anyone know where I can find the "piece by piece" layout for a drum brake for a 58?
Last edited by Woogeroo; 12/30/2009 12:16 AM. Reason: added model and year
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | You might try a shop manual, Chiltens, or run over to your FLAPS and grab a manual there. Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | I would recommend that you buy a shop manual from one of the vendors for you truck. They are invaluable in putting things back together. This is for the rears on a 1966 half ton: http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrakeTake away the emergency brake pieces and the self adjuster and it should be pretty close, but I won't swear to it. some more '66 style manual images: http://picasaweb.google.com/Woogeroo/1966c10styleebrakes#Get a shop manual, you won't regret it. I'm guessing you'd need a '55 2nd series and a '58 supplement... or they made a a lot of changes in '58... so you might could get away with only the '58 shop manual. Maybe someone with more experience with those models will stop in and shed some light on this for us. -W | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | will be the same as the 55 2nd - no changes until '59 when they went to 2" rear shoes in place of 1 3/4" Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | In reference to a "'58 supplement", there was no such animal. The '58s had a full manual and '59 had a supplement. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 289 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | I just bought a shop manual. But I'm wondering if the "Assembly Manual" would have been a better buy? I will get my new manual in 5-10 days, which is too long of a wait when I have to go back to school in a few days. Not to mention, it's like 5 degrees here Idaho 
Last edited by REAL_RAT_FINK; 12/31/2009 6:58 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | Crap Eric, I just spent $30 on this manual and you had this the whole time~!? Well, its not 58, but those diagrams do help a bit. I would imagine the brakes are very similar. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The assembly manual is handy for putting things together but the service manual is better for mechanicals. And it does have the diagram you need. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | | | |
| |