Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible),
106
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,589 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | I have not been able to remove the pipe plug on my rear header since I got my new intake and heat kit. The front plug come out no problem, but the kit is designed for the rear one to be used.
I have used different penetrants on it and used all kinds of wrenches. It just gets worse. Aside from drilling it out, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this plug out? Since winter has come i ahev decided to attack this issue again, since it is more noticable in the colder weather. Thanks for the advice!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | Heat is your friend. Get the bushing around the plug as hot as you can with a propane torch, or get it cherry-red with an acetyline rig, and turn the plug out. If a candle or a piece of parrafin sealing wax is applied to the thread area when it's moderately hot- - - -the wax will follow the threads and help lube it, but watch out for a flash fire if you do that. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Thanks Hotrod, I figured heat was gonna be needed. Looks like I might head over to the brothers to play with the new torch of his!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 | If you get it to move with heat and it feels like its pulling threads or becomes stuck use some valve grinding compound and light oil and work it back in forth. This will get in between the threads and cut the crud to remove the bolt or nut. be sure it is cool though. This trick works great on SS bolts and nuts when they start to gall to. 62Blue Don
62Blue 62Chevy in progress You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Alright, I've heated it up to red hot and all I'm doing is tearing up the plug. I don't think the heat method will work further.
Cutting, drilling and grinding is my last option I think. What would be the best coarse of action you guys think? These headers are installed in the truck so the angle is a bit precarious. Thanks for the help so far Gentlemen!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,836 | The most effective method is going to be to remove the header, and jig it up in a drill press. Otherwise, you run a risk of drilling the first hole off-center, and damaging the bushing as you enlarge the hole. It's vitally important that the original drilled hole is exactly on center, then step-drill it larger about 1/8" at a time. When you finally get to the minor diameter of the thread, carefully use a tap to cut the remaining threads out. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 | I'm about to try the same thing on my Fentons. I tried briefly to remove the rear plug and twisted the end of the allen wrench. I was thinking if it doesn't come out why not leave it in and drill and pipe tap another hole in the header; all we're looking for is a way to plumb some heat to the intake right? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Neswes- Yah pretty much! I was thinking along the same lines, the only thing that comes to mind is the way it would look. If that doesn't concern you then go for it.
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 | come to think of it didn't Mr. gasket or somebody used to offer a clamp on heat riser for your headers that was used to feed the auto choke on a carb. Maybe you could adapt something like that. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | Hello ApacheFiend. We met at BSA Camp Cherokee a year or so ago.
I bought my original Fentons from the ball park swap meet. That plug was in there for decades. When my plug finally came out it took all the threads with it!!!
I had to re-thread the hole which is risky in cast iron. Take it slow and lots of oil. Then I added a brass bushing to get the size back down where I needed it. I made my own intake plate and piped it using brake tubing. I am not finished and on the road yet so I cannot say if my home built system will work properly.
Richard Midlothian T512 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Hey Richard! I remember you! I was out there at Camp this past week for Winter Camp. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna set aside a day to do this and hopefully it will all work out. Thanks again!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 232 | I'm thinking of trying to adapt something I saw in the dorman catalog #55111 carb heat choke kit. It's only about $10 bucks. Just clamps to the header and then just drill and tap into my bottom manifold plate. I have an offy dual 1 Barrel manifold. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 51 | Langdon"s Stovebolt sells a plate that attached to the intake maifold and the heater hose flows thru it, will heat the intake but wouldn't do much when it's cold, but I guess it runs better all the time if the intake is heated. It's $35, and you would need to reroute the hose from the thermastat housing
[url=http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/shannon_joe_1953.html]1953 Chevy 3100[/ur When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Got'em out! I taped them with a regular hammer rythmicly for a minute or so, squirted some more PB Blaster on them, then used my vise-grips and got the darn thing out. My new vise-grips have an Allen wrench socket on the back so I could tighten it even more and that gave me the necessary grip to finally turn the thing. That plug sure was mutilated. Thanks for all the help/suggestions!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | |
| |