The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, 66flea, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
Hi everyone,

I disassembled my front drum brakes on my 58 1/2ton apache. It has been a while since I tore it apart and now I'm having trouble getting it all back together. I'm hoping I haven't lost any parts:(

I have seen drum brake diagrams before but I can't seem to find them on here. Does anyone know where I can find the "piece by piece" layout for a drum brake for a 58?

Last edited by Woogeroo; 12/30/2009 12:16 AM. Reason: added model and year

"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

---Casey---

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/davisears/?albumview=slideshow
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
You might try a shop manual, Chiltens, or run over to your FLAPS and grab a manual there.
Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

I would recommend that you buy a shop manual from one of the vendors for you truck. They are invaluable in putting things back together.



This is for the rears on a 1966 half ton:

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

Take away the emergency brake pieces and the self adjuster and it should be pretty close, but I won't swear to it.



some more '66 style manual images:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Woogeroo/1966c10styleebrakes#


Get a shop manual, you won't regret it.

I'm guessing you'd need a '55 2nd series and a '58 supplement... or they made a a lot of changes in '58... so you might could get away with only the '58 shop manual.

Maybe someone with more experience with those models will stop in and shed some light on this for us.

-W

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
will be the same as the 55 2nd - no changes until '59 when they went to 2" rear shoes in place of 1 3/4"

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
In reference to a "'58 supplement", there was no such animal. The '58s had a full manual and '59 had a supplement.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
Then there is This


Eric
http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/sparky234/library/My%2057%20Chevy%20Stepside?sort=3&page=1
'57 Chevy 3100 (Little Red)
'81 RD350 LC - Fun, Fun, Fun
'83 GS1100E - Pocket Rocket
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
I just bought a shop manual. But I'm wondering if the "Assembly Manual" would have been a better buy? I will get my new manual in 5-10 days, which is too long of a wait when I have to go back to school in a few days. Not to mention, it's like 5 degrees here Idaho brrrrr

Last edited by REAL_RAT_FINK; 12/31/2009 6:58 AM.

"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

---Casey---

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/davisears/?albumview=slideshow
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
Crap Eric, I just spent $30 on this manual and you had this the whole time~!? Well, its not 58, but those diagrams do help a bit. I would imagine the brakes are very similar.


"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

---Casey---

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/davisears/?albumview=slideshow
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The assembly manual is handy for putting things together but the service manual is better for mechanicals. And it does have the diagram you need.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 149
perfect, thanks Cletis


"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

---Casey---

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/davisears/?albumview=slideshow

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0