The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600891 12/13/2009 4:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
I watched the CD I got from Lincoln then went to the garage for initial welding practice.

I set the welder on C 4 for 16 gauge metal and laid down a nice bead. I can do beads on flat metal.

Then I tried the butt weld. Oh No. Not good. Now I know what is meant by blowing holes. I turned the controls down to B 3 and it seems to work well.

Any Advice? TIA


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
When butt welding on sheetmetal just tac and keep moving so You don't get to much heat on the work say 6inchs apart than go back and tac between those welds and so on. To much heat in one spot will warp the sheetmetal don't try and weld it all up at one time better to let the work cool down than tac some more also a little more speed on the wire will give You a colder weld but there is no substitute for practice I got some junk sheetmetal from some old cars and cut it up and practiced alot .


Pete

Pete52 #600998 12/14/2009 12:27 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Dennis,

Butt welds on thin material are very tough to do. The best approach is to design the joint so it's a lap joint...the two pieces overlap. This is much easier to deal with and is often easier than all the exact fitting to get a butt joint.

Backing the butt weld joint with a piece of like material is also an option. Make a butt weld the least desirable joint on your shopping list!

Stuart

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
I agree with the other responders; what I would add is just maybe some more clarification; If you're burning holes through the metal using a reccomended setting(s) then the problem is usually technique (or lack thereof) meaning operator error. Move a little faster so the heat doesn't get so high and "stitch" weld as suggested. Weld a 1/4" or so and skip 6" then weld 1/4" again. Rinse and repeat.
Sometimes you just have to lower the setting(s); who knows why? Maybe you got a 'HOT' machine, or a cheaper grade of metal or it's steel and not "black iron".
Always do a spark test on unknown metals prior to welding.
You can get a good idea of what you're welding by the color of the sparks created when you grind the metal in such a way as to create sparks. I'm sure you can find out more about spark testing on the web.

Last edited by Doug9656; 12/14/2009 7:06 AM.

1999 GMC Yukon
1957 GMC 100 Panel
Doug9656 #601171 12/14/2009 5:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 93
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 93
I back the welds with copper rather than like material. The weld won't stick to copper. The copper keeps the metal from blowing out. A 3/4" copper pipe flattened on one end held behind where you are welding is the standard made at home tool for this.


Hope this is helpful.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

sclor #601198 12/14/2009 6:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks for the advice. I will keep practicing.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
For butt welding sheet metal I make a series of small tacks or s little better than tacks. As I move around, I end up with welds spaced about 1/2" apart. For the next round I weld to the right of each one and run back into the side of the adjacent weld. Finally it takes one weld to close the gap in each little strip. I find that when I grind this down, there are no pin holes.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
truckernix #601523 12/15/2009 11:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
I also found it hard to see. I missed the mark most of the time.

This must come with practice and experience.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Well I am at the age where I wear bi-focals. So I couldn't hit the mark either because I was looking through my distance lenses. It was too dificult to look through the reading portion with the mask. Then I tried my lenses that I have for using the computer and everything changed for the better. Also if your helmet is adjusted too dark, you may not have enough light.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
Make sure the area is very well lit and lighten up your mask. No more whale oil lamps.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I have reading glasses that focus at about a foot and a half at every computer and with every welding helmet. Seeing is everything with wire welding on thin stuff. I also use a real light lens when I weld .025 wire. Mig welding doesn't give off much light and I use a lens light enough to see where I'm starting. I don't care for auto darkening lenses. The heat and wire speed that they recommend is a good starting point, but you have to play with some scrap similar to what you are working with to get it just right.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Don't laugh, I have the auto darking welding helmet and it took me awhile to realize my "transition" eye glasses were getting so dark I couldn't find my work point. I'm near sighted so I can weld without glasses.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
It does take quite a bit of practice to butt weld well. Another thing that helps is to chamfer the metal and stitch side to side instead of trying to weld in a straight line.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
If you are having trouble seeing when welding go to the welding shop and get a magnifying lens for your helmet. If you think welding black iron is bad try stainless steel.You will have Holes, Holes and Holes! Stainless burns real quick. I don't see how chamfering a butt weld in thin metal will help you as that is making the weld area thinner. Maybe I missed some thing here.
62Blue
Don

Last edited by Don G.; 12/16/2009 6:56 AM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Don G. #601735 12/16/2009 3:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
My welding 'side to side' got out of hand, too. It looked like a drunken sailor was behind the wheel. Experience and practice must play in improving that also.

I could use more light.

And the smoke. I was worried about that.

I have read too much. And watched too much video.

I need to get some more 16 gauge metal to work on.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
What size wire are you using? I've had pretty good luck (and I'm relatively a newbie to welding) with .023 and shielding gas with my Lincoln 140 set on b with a little faster wire speed.


[b]1957 Chevy Big Window 3100[.b]

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Picasa

It ain't broke 'til you can't fix it any more.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks Mr. Buick. I am using the thin wire. .023 I think?

I found the B 3 setting working at the end of practice session 1. You mention a faster wire speed. In my next session should I kick that up to a 5 or faster? I am hoping to have time on Saturday for the next session.

Also. I buy plate steel from Lowe's home improvement store to weld on. This is due convience and time. Does this metal have a coating that burns or pops or something? Should I be cleaning the surface with a wire wheel or something? I just thought of that

TIA


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
What is a Lowes? Is that like a homer depot?

Clean the metal well..I even buff off that coating they use on new steel.

Look out for zinc fumes.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
I used a higher speed (.023 wire with shielding gas) on my sheet metal patches which were a bit thinner than 16ga. I went to Lowes and got a 2' x 2' sheet of steel and cut it up into 4" squares and went to town. If you're going to be welding up panels, try to get a gauge similar to that which you'll actually be butting together. Here's what I managed to do after a little practice:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisAurit/PhotoHistory#5377946874362322594

http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisAurit/PhotoHistory#5377947232745876514

http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrisAurit/BeforeAndAfter#5224683405793990546

These were my second or third attempt at butt welding. I think I did the floor panels first because the visibility factor left me a lot of leeway.

I also used those butt-weld doo-dads that Eastwood (and others) sell that really helped me line the panels up.

Last edited by Desert_buick; 12/18/2009 1:36 PM. Reason: added picture

[b]1957 Chevy Big Window 3100[.b]

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Picasa

It ain't broke 'til you can't fix it any more.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks again, Buick. Your last picture notes that the doors did not line up and the cab had to be cut and rewelded. Ouch. Thanks for that note. I will do panels slowly and one at a time with adjoining pieces placed to avoid that.

Did you float some filler/bondo after you were done with the welds?

TIA


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Pick a certain "heat" or current setting and then adjust the speed to get the proper buzzing and metal flow. With the speed too low you will have random popping and no continuous arc. With the speed too high you high the metal will pile up and you won't get proper penetration.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks Fred. I didn't get back on the practice with the welder. I bought a truck with a real good cab. Just a few spots that need to be fixed.

With the Mig I plan to try the B setting for heat and around a 3 to 4 for wire flow. Lets see how that works.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I am sure I am not the only one to try their hand at this.

Really. It is kind of fun.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0