| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY),
126
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,253 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 | Hey folks, I've run into a little trouble with the '64, it's my daily driver and I'm riding the bus until the fix so any advice is wildly appreciated here. Here goes:
The rear end is in poor shape. It's a coil spring 12 bolt truck unit, 3:73 gears. Both axle seals are bad and the brakes need rebuilt. The brake work led to the discovery of all this other mess. So I was off to fix the seals, no big deal, peel off the diff cover and find this other gory mess. Looks like the pinion has slid forward into the carrier, so the carrier is all marred up and the face of the pinion gear is ate off, can't tell exactly how much but it looks pretty rough.
So I'm kicking around options and I thought I'd ask your opinions. Option (1)is a total overhaul of this rear end, including the brakes, axle seals and perhaps bearings, plus a gear swap. The carrier is ugly but functionally sound as near as I can tell. I don't really like this option because I'd want to hand the gear swap job over to a pro, and I think that might be costly. With everything involved, this sorta seems like the 'polishing a turd' option to me, even though I prefer to squeeze all the life possible out of original parts. Option (2)is a complete new rear end drum to drum. The cost of one of these would likely be comparable to the cost of repair to the old unit, and I could easily install it myself. I've already put out the wanted ad for anyone's used 64-69 rear ends in the swap meet. Can you folks through out some references for new or remanufactured units for me to price? I'd appreciate it?
Again, any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | A used rear end is the only reasonable price option. Jaspers rebuilds them but the price would be prohibitive. Even then you will probably have to put seals in & work on the brakes. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 379 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 379 | The '63 & '64 axles are different than the '65-'69 axles (2 WD). Main difference is 17 splines for '63-'64 and 30 splines for '65-'69. Look for a number to verify what you have or you can pull an axle to count splines... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 | Thanks for the input, folks. I've been mulling it over for a couple of days now and I'm pretty well set on getting a whole replacement rear end. Good to know about the axle disparity though, splashoil. My main concern now is just being certain that the whole rear end I find as a replacement is a direct replacement. Any 64-72 1/2 ton is coil spring and should fit right up where the old one did right? I've heard that the 70-72's were a little wider, so I've narrowed the search to a 64-69 for the time being. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 83 | | | |
| |
| |