The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible), 142 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5965 04/23/2003 3:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
OK...I just posted a "not so flashy" question regarding radiator brackets...BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR....

On the way out tonight I found my self with MAJOR driveline troubles.

I cannot get into gear. Seems like the clutch is not disengaging. It started with a funny-feeling clutch pedal...about 3/4 of the way down I felt a little bump like something let go. Then the pedal felt sort of springy--not smooth all the way down like it normally does. It went into Reverse with a minor grind. Backed out, and it went into first with the same minor grind. (I would have stopped there but I was headed to my first T'ai Chi class, and didn't want to miss it.)

Well, I missed it. About 3 gear shifts and a half mile later, I couldn't get into Second. From a standstill, trying for First and Reverse I get a fast grind with the clutch pedal down. I could not go into second, but I could go into 3rd. The linkage is all in place. The adjusting screws for pedal freeplay are tight. Travel of linkage seems normal. The fork seems MAYBE (??) a bit loose, but I'm not sure.

Seems like a clutch problem, but I replaced the clutch 4 years ago, along with throwout bearing. Also, last week while replacing rear main seal what we saw of the clutch looked fantastic. Maybe the spring (fingers) broke?

Tomorrow (Wednesday ) I will be under the truck bright and early on a chilly spring day. But if anyone could chime in with some suggestions before then, it would be very appreciated.

My road trip down to Athens for Friday, sadly, will not happen in the '65 Chevy.
[230 motor, 3 speed, column shift.]

Thanks, Jerry


REQUIRED READING: Truck, by John Jerome
(aka "The Book of Truck")
Zen Trucking
#5966 04/23/2003 3:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Check the motor mounts, all three. Is the trans. secured to the bellhousing? Bellhousing secure to engine?


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


#5967 04/23/2003 4:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
Just came out from under...clutch fingers are bent/broken. Can't believe it only lasted 4 years. The disks look brand new (thickness-wise). I was able to peek in without removing tranny, just bell housing cover....

I know what I'm doing for the next 12 hours.

Thanks for the reply.
Jerry


REQUIRED READING: Truck, by John Jerome
(aka "The Book of Truck")
Zen Trucking
#5968 04/24/2003 7:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Make sure you look into what caused the fingers to bend.
Do you have the correct T/O bearing? how about the clutch fork?
May have been a weak clutch frown
Was th clutch a new one or a rebuilt?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#5969 04/24/2003 6:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Check the clutch fork pivot ball for wear, too.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#5970 05/05/2003 7:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 35
The old clutch was a rebuilt and the old throwout bearing matches the one that came with my new clutch kit. And the new clutch is a new one. clutch fork pivot ball seems tight...took quite a bit of force to snap the fork back on.

STRANGE THING IS... when I restarted the engine after the clutch replacement, the # 5 & 6 valve lash was way out of adjustment. All I can figure is that the lifters got stuck in the short position. I readjusted the lash and all seems fine now.


REQUIRED READING: Truck, by John Jerome
(aka "The Book of Truck")
Zen Trucking

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0