The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (fonz8261, Shaffer's1950, tclederman, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Charles in CA, 49choptop), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,376
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
I found an 83 s 10 in a junk yard but I don't know how to tell if it is a five speed or not I cant ask anyone at the junkyard, they don't speak english. any help?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
4 speeds are pretty common too. Check if the shifter will move towards the dash from neutral in 3 different positions which would be gear 1 at left, 3 at center, and 5 to the right. The shift knob should show you too if it's still there.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Print this chart out and take it with you to the junk yard.The numbers in the left hand column id the model number.Most of these transmission have a sticker tag with the model number printed on it.I believe this tag is on the top side of the transmission.
Transmission model numbers


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
I've also got a list here. I keep a print out of the consolidated list in my tool box so I can tell what I'm looking at when I run across them.

T5 List

Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
So what about the T5 "looking" transmission you find out of the vehicle at the salvage yard and it doesn't have a tag or bar-code decal? If you determine that it IS a T5, how are you going to determine WHICH T5 it really is; a .86 OD with the 4.03 1st gear or the .72 OD with the 3.76 1st gear. And maybe it's a Camaro box without a tag or bar-code sticker. It makes a BIG difference if you're trying to lock-in on the differential R&P ratio. The .72 works great with a 3.42-3.90 R&P while the .86 is more applicable with the 2.70's and 3.08's. And I wouldn't count on the yard folks to know!!!

In reality, it's pretty easy if you use the following steps:

1. Put the transmission into 5th gear.
2. Make a crayon mark at the 12 O'clock position on both the front splined (input) shaft and the rear splined (output) shaft.
3. Rotate the OUTPUT shaft 360 degrees and check the INPUT shaft mark to see what part of 360 degrees it rotated.
4. If the INPUT shaft rotated MORE than 270 degrees (3/4 rotation or past the 9:00 position) you've got a .86 box. If it rotates slightly LESS than 270 degrees (about 8:00) it's going to be a .72 box. If it's a Camaro box it'll likely be less than the 8:00 position but more than the 6:00 position or a .63 box. If it WERE (hypothetically)6:00 it would have a .50 ratio.

I've used this little procedure a number of times and have identified several boxes that were offered as .72 (preferred ratio) if you want to use the 3rd generation Camaro 3.42 diff, that turned out to be the .86 OD with the 4.03 (short) 1st gear.
Regardless of which T5 you're hunting this little trick will eliminate the guesswork. Hope this helps.

Dave



Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
Thanks guys for the help ! I am going back to the junk yard sat. better prepared ! I wouldn't have the courage to do some of this stuff w/out your help. love the site!!!

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Remember, the T4 is a T5 without the 5th gear or the space to mount it (no bulge in the tail stock)


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Is the tail houseing different? I always thought you could use a 4 speed rear housing on a 5 speed with electronic speedo to get the speedo drive by changing the detent plate with the one from the 5 speed. It't seems to me I did this once.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
No, the tail housings are different. While some T4's did get the T5 tail (my guess is BW ran out of the T4's) the majority of them get a 4-speed specific tail. No cavity for 5th gear. If you got one of the T4's with the T5 tail, you fount the proverbial needle in a haystack.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Thanks for the info. Scott. I did one once. I guess I hap penned to get lucky & got one that would work. My friend & I went out last week & got the rear housing off a 4 speed at the pull it yourself yard. Two old men laid in wet gravel for an hour & paid $25 for it. Now I look at it & it's quite obvious it won't fit. I guess you are never too old to learn.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
George,

I will bet the two old men loved what they were doing at the moment. You are the 'youngest' old man I know and I still enjoy your posts.

Stuart

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
How about a t -5 from a 92 s- 10 ? will it fit ?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Originally Posted by rick tool
How about a t -5 from a 92 s- 10 ? will it fit ?
Yes with the normal modifications, but it will have a electronic speedo drive. You will need a inverter or electronic speedo.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0