The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (BC59), 148 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59178 04/14/2006 5:16 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Hey Folks,
Happy Easter.

I am putting a '60 235 in my '53. The problem is, my stock oil and temp guages will not hook up to the engine. The thing is, on the '60 engine, both the oil and temp fittings are electric. There is a clip and a wire from the temp sender, the same for the oil sender. On the other end (the guages), their is a copper line from the guages to where the senders mounted in the engine. I cannot use the old temp sender as the hole in the newer engine is much larger. The oil sender I might be able to rig something up. What have you guys done?
I did a search and came up with this, this, and this.
Nothing to solid.

Thanks,
Colin

#59179 04/14/2006 12:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Colin,

It is nice to see that you tried to search the forum. Try "temperature sender" or "oil sender".

NAPA has the temperature adapter as Balkamp part #701-1542. Also, Jim Carter and other vendors sell an adapter. You might want to use blue rtv sealer but mine does not leak without it.

The oil pressure line could be fit to an oil filter line (do you have an oil filter). You could drill and tap a hole or try to find a T-fitting (I think the line size is 1/8 but I do not know the thread type or diameter). Originally, the T-adapter placed in the rearward block hole for the by-pass oil filter line here is a poor diagram) . Maybe someone else has better information.

Tim

#59180 04/14/2006 7:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Thanks Tim!

The temp. adapter is what I need then.

See I think I can rig something up for the oil guage using part of the old filter fitting and plugging one hole, or just putting a filter on. My new engine does not have a filter. I have a couple, and might put on one. Can't hurt anything I guess.

Thanks again!

Colin

#59181 04/15/2006 4:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
I think the electric sender uses a pipe thread in the block. for pressure any plumping supply can sell you a reducer. I suspect the same would work with the temp, but i'm not sure about the threads.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
#59182 04/22/2006 11:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Thanks Chester.

Tim, Napa couldn't come up with anything with that part number. You wouldn't happen to know what size threads I need on the head and what size I need to go to do you?
Thanks.

Colin

#59183 04/23/2006 4:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Colin,

It has been 30+ years since I obtained that part.

I found a link that said that the Weatherhead part number for that Balkamp fitting is 202X5X4

Tim

#59184 04/23/2006 4:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Thanks Tim,

I'll try that.

Colin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0