The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, NJC, Hotrod Lincoln), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#591800 11/12/2009 4:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
OK I've read the shop manual and searched the forums here and found plenty of discussion about wheel bearings but not the answer to my question. I'm replacing the front wheel bearings on my 1/2 Ton 57 Chevy 3200, found the replacements at Golden State Parts. When I was removing the spindle side inner race, it's a three part ball type, it found that it spins freely on the spindle. Not too free but not a press fit and stationary as I would have expected it to be. I've replaced many bearings on many things, but not this type. I don't believe the races should spin. Am I wrong in this case?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Mine did the same thing. don't worry about it, it's normal for the ball bearing style. Once the preload is set, they'll be fine.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks for the response, it was the same on both sides so I thought it was probably just the way it is, but I like to be sure.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
That's normal.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
I am going through the same situation and after measuring found one side to have about .002" wear and the otherside .004" wear on the spindle lower surface for the inner bearing. I have found other used spindles and found the same type of wear. Any ideas what type of wear would necessitate replacing the spindle?


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
blanch53,

I think what you are describing is differences if fit, not "wear". Normally those surfaces do not have movement between them and wear doesn't occur. With the bearing installed and torqued, there is no movement there.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
Hey truckernix

you make a good point, there should be no movement between the inner race and the spindle. Unfortunately my newly acquired truck had no preload for the wheel bearings and may allowed the bearings to spin on the spindle. I have been told by a local expert not to worry until the worn groove created by a spinning bearing reached .020 or more. I am not keen on seeing any groove on a shaft created by a spinning bearing. I have heard of a sleeve being pressed on to a hard to find spindle to bring it back to a standard size. This maybe an option I might pursue.


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0