The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Shade Baby, Mike'sPlace, carbking), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
Hello Everyone,
I just had a late 70S Nova offered to me for a good price.It has a 250 with auto and runs like new.I am thinking about putting the compleate drive train in my 53.I need some details,It looks like I could buy the v8 adapter crossmember from CD and the automatic crossmember to get it mounted to frame,is this correct? One thing that I am concernd with is the temp gage I want the stock one can it work in the 250(sending unit)?Also can I use the stock radiator?
Thanks for any input,
Aaron smile

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Radiator should be fine (if it's ok now). You'll probably need an adapter of some sort to install the capillary tube sender for the temp gauge into the 250's head. If that 250 has the integrated intake/manifold system, find a 250 in a junkyard with the earlier head and accessories - the integrated thing is a disaster that probably already happened.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
A,
Correct, the crossmembers work fine with the 250. I agree with GMCpanel that adapting the sending unit won't be hard. If it's running fine, I wouldn't be in a hurry to lose the integral head if it has one. There are always a few cherries even in a lemon design. Swapping the head later is easy if need be.

My stock rad works just fine with an electric pusher fan in front. I run 180-185 consistently and have only seen 190-195 tops. I use a 4lb cap.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
Thanks for the reply guys,
I think this may be the best way for me to go,it will surley be the most cost effective.
Thanks again,Aaron smile

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
I ran a 250 in my last '49 and it worked great. I used the crossmembers you mentioned along with the stock radiator and heat gauge, although I had to use an adapter to get the bourbon tube to fit in the 250 head. The only problem was the 4.11 rear end. I was running about 3000 rpm at 50 mph. I put in a 2.73 rear end and it dropped to about 1800 rpm at 65 mph! Out on the highway I had plenty of power and speed to keep up with most of the V8 guys. Not only that, but it looks stock! I used the original 3 speed column shifter for my TH 350 tranny. Took a little rigging, but it worked. I think you'll like this set-up.


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0