The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Steelonsteel, klhansen, tclederman, Nick in Manitou, dt235sd, Bill Hanlon, Leo, GRNHydra), 70 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,112
Posts1,056,577
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57200 03/01/2006 9:35 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
I have a 51 Chevy 6400 W/2speed rear and am wondering if I swap the SM420 for a Muncie M20 will it hold up (stong enough) and will the gearing work, plan on insalling a S/B in as an engine, was planning on going with a gear venders unit to solve the low top speed problem. Do plan on using the truck for hauling dirt

#57201 03/01/2006 10:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I guess you have accessed gear vendors site where they list the available gear ratios? I don't think they under drive the first gear, do they? The 420 has a 7.08 first gear and I think the M20 is about 2.94(?). That would be the problem I see; not a low-enough low for heavy pulling or hauling.


Professional Novice
#57202 03/01/2006 10:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The close ratio gears would not be practical in a bigbolt like that. You may want to use the latter model 4 speed sm465 1968 up. It,s a tougher trans.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
thank you both I will look into the sm465 and see what i can find availble the m20 is free to me thats why i was checking

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The M20 is free! Grab it and trade it for a pile of SM465s!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Concur with OldSub, snap up the M20 first. You don't want to give up the granny for hauling.

I am going to a SM465 with a gear splitter (got it cheaper than a gear vendors unit) to replace the crash box in my 39.

The SM465 doesn't buy you anything over the SM420 for all practical purposes. A backup light switch and a sychro first ain't worth the work.

I really like gear vendors stuff but, it is super expensive. The US Gear overdrive unit I am using will work and will work great for the price I paid used.

Since you have a vacuum rear end, you could add another lever to your floorboard in the form of an Advance Adapters Ranger Unit for less than $1500 giving you an overdrive (sort of) at a reasonable price. I like these units behind a 235 or a mild small block. I would leave it in overdrive for regular driving around town and drop it to direct for any necessary hauling. It moves your shifter back 7 inches and you will have to shorten your driveshaft. I mostly like these for price.

Or a Richmond Truck 6 speed with a 4:1 first (not short enough IMO) and an overdrive for about $3500.

Or a Dodge NV4500 using a Dodge to SM420 adapter plate would be great.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 70
well I had not been to the gear vendors site but had read alot about them and thought I would take a look Very good stuff but Iam sure you guys know alot cheaper ways to do it $3000 to do it thier way was not what I had in mind. as Ive said before Iam still early in the planning stage thats why Iam asking the off the wall ???? just kicking around some ideas.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0