The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#571133 09/04/2009 12:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Hi, I have a 57 3100 chevy and was wondering which 9 inch ford rear end should I be looking for. Any out of a certain model that will fit in there nicely. I have one from a 78 f-150 that I could use???

Just want your opinions on what you guys have used and what kind of work/modifications were involved. Thanks


1957 chevy 3200
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Well the stock width of a 57 3100 rear is about 62 or 62 1/4 inches. That's a good place to start. What lug pattern do you want to run... 5 on 5.5(f*rd truck), 6 on 5.5 (chevy truck) 5 on 5, 5 on 4 3/4, 5 on 4 1/2...?

How about gears and axle splines?

The 9 inch is a good rear axle with plenty of aftermarket upgrades. It may be cheaper to order a new 9 inch to your specs, rather than rebuilding a wrecking yard one. Check out http://9inchfloater.com/. This company can outfit you with a new nine inch at any width, with any lug pattern, and disc brakes. I spec'd out a 61 inch wide, 31 spline, 6 lug on 5.5 bolt circle rear with 12 inch by 1.25 inch rotors for my 1940 gmc. This unit is much stronger than a regular 9 inch. It seems to me that most wecking yards want at least 3 bills for a rearend that needs complete overhaul. That $300 rear end will cost you $1300 before you have it installed.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting to swap to the 9"?


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
My plans are to be running some serious hp in this truck. With this I wanted to go to a full floating 9 inch to take the abuse. As I'm in the early stages of building, better be safe then sorry smile What kind of hp do you think the stock diff can handle?


1957 chevy 3200
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Well, red58 knows a guy that's running a very hot 427 in one, it'll pull the front wheels without any problem. I don't know if you're familar with the old Gasser class thay ran back in the '60s, but pretty much all of those cars ran the Chevy truck reaend, even in the AA/GS supercharged class. That's in exes of 1500 horses and welded spiders. Lots of late '50s and ear;y '60s stock cars ran this rear, too. The only real drawback is the C clip axle retantion, and the lack of a limited slip for it.
If you're looking to go racing, then the 9" would probably be the hot ticket, or even beter would be a Dana 60, which is a 3/4 ton+ capacity axle.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Wow! Thanks for the info. I'm still a young pup with lots to learn lol and I'm sure there must be some company out there making a limited slip for them like auburn


1957 chevy 3200
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Eddies truck has slammed the wheels down so many time he's replaced the front bearings a number of times and broke a spindle, but still stock axles, and the rear has never had any problems

a Ford rear?? in a Chevy?? I thought it was usually the other way round grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Unfortunatly, there isn't. Been searching since '94 for one. About the only game for one is to find the very rare '60-'62 Truck Positraction diff. I managed to find one, it was in a stripped truck that was a cab ad frame. A freind of mine was willing to go in one it to get the cab and chassis, I wanted the diff. As soon as the seller heard that we suspected it was a Posi (I spotted the tag) he decided not to sell the truck.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Originally Posted by rye2842
My plans are to be running some serious hp in this truck. With this I wanted to go to a full floating 9 inch to take the abuse. As I'm in the early stages of building, better be safe then sorry smile What kind of hp do you think the stock diff can handle?

I built a 389 for my 59 jimmy. The 389 was bored and stroked out to 447 inches with tripower. I built this engine for torque and not HP. I figure it may have 340 HP with about 500 ft/lbs torque. The rear end didn't last 20 miles. This was the HO33 rear, the same you have in the 57 and it was completely overhauled before the engine swap.
The axle saddles were ripped from the axle tubes from the amount of torque applied. The tubes were shredded.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks now that's what I was thinking was going to happen


1957 chevy 3200

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0