The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Steelonsteel), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,490
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
I took the nut off the end, but do not see how the pulley comes off??

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
maybe it needs puller removal tool....


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
I don't know. It looks like it kind of screws on the shaft that the nut was also on. If it does I do not know how you should hold it to try and turn it off. If it pops off, I am not sure where to tap it safely

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
read this and see if it helps
click here


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
If it's a Delco generator, there's a small woodruff key that fits in a half-moon shaped cutout in the shaft. The pulley has a slot that fits over the key. You'll need to use a little penetrating oil on the pulley/shaft joint and do a little careful tapping with a small hammer to loosen it. Sometimes it's necessary to screw the nut on level with the end of the generator shaft thread and tap on the nut while holding onto the pulley to get it started moving. Just don't bulge the thread by hammering on it without the nut installed.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 08/26/2009 8:59 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I havent had my hands on a generator in 40 yrs,

I do know that I had to remove the woodruff key from the pulley/balancer on my 235 by tapping and pulling........ tapping, only thing that kept it intact was the alt. belt.............darn thing come off once while driving at 65.........got me a replacement from langdon's, this one stayed on pretty good, had to keep the belt tight and checked..


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 25
I do see what looks like it could be a key in there. Very small. I am going to play with it a bit carefully and take the info from you guys and see what happens. This website and forum have been great for me , and I really appreciate the response that you give.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I am sure you will find a way to get it off,
if nothing else works, use the BFH

Jerry, hotrod lincoln, is one of the best around,
always gives a great answer plus really willing to help..

I just try to throw one in ever once in awhile..

good luck.


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Sent you a pm J, the woodriff key is simply to keep the pulley from turning on the shaft the pulley will slide right off once the nut is removed. DON'T HAMMER ON THE KEY! There are pictures and explanation in the pm just in case it's a stuburn one.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
The pulley is just slid onto the armature shaft and the woodruff key is to keep the pulley from spinning on the shaft. Set it upright and use penetrating oil on it and let it sit. If your dealing with a stamped steel pulley its tough to use pullers as it will probably bend if stuck on there good. You may want to try using a couple of screw drivers and pry upwards on the back side of the pulley. If your going to take that woodruff key out as well you will want to use a blunt nose punch and knock the back side of the key, the end closest to the armature windings, down into the armature shaft, this will raise the front of the key upwards out of the shaft, you can then use a screw driver and get underneath the front of the key and knock it upwards and it will usually pop out. Let us know how it works out with the pulley.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0