| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,720 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 28 | I've got a 1940 3/4 ton long bed truck that I would like to convert to a short bed. Are the 40 and the 41-47 frames compatible? The reason, I'm thinking about going to a 41-47 frame is that they seem to be more available than the 40 frames. I'm going to keep the straight axle and keep the Classic Performance 6 lug disc brake conversion with a saginaw power steering, pitman arm unit. Any info in this type of swap would be appreciated. Thanks Runningiron | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | My understanding is that the cabs are about 2 inches shorter on the 39 and 40 than they are on the 41-46. I believe this causes the wheelbase to also grow on the 41-46 as compared to the 39 and 40. I have a 1940 3/4 ton longbed. I don't believe the longbeds are that out of proportion on the 1940. I might have prefered a shortbed, but I will not part with my longbed. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 28 | Thanks for the info. The reason I was considering converting to a shortbed was because of a fifties built campershell that I bought and was thinking about using occaisionly. You know when I was a kid, I would only hotrod and drive shortbed trucks. Now that I'm older, the longbed is really more practical. And your'e 100% correct, the 1940 3/4 longbed doesn't look out of porportion. The theme of my truck is going to be kind of a WWII warbird. I've got a B-17 bomber ring sight for a hood ornament, (detachable of course to avoid being stolen), B-17 recognition landing light panel switch and a bunch of other WWII aircraft stuff for the interior. The camper shell that I was going to top the bed with was built by a guying that worked for Boeing Aircraft. The camper is made out of 6061 aluminum aircraft panels with B-52 bomber blueprint imbossed on the inside. Maybe instead trying use the shortbed camper, I thought about using the rivited panels for to do the interior of my truck in keeping with the WWII warbird theme. Thanks again. | | |
| |
| |