| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (JW51, Phak1),
92
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,081 Posts1,056,321 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 159 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 159 | I am putting together a 1965 292ci to put in my '50. I got to the connecting rod bearings and my book says to make sure the oiling hole is pointed toward the camshaft. I assume this is just an oil hole for the connecting rod bearing that gets it oil from the momentum of the rotating crankshaft dipping in the oil.
My problem is that the Clevite rod bearings I got don't have a notch in them that matches up with the oiling hole in the connecting rod. The original bearings had the notch in them. Do I need the notch? If so should I file them in? I don't want to fry my engine over something so simple (I'd rather fry it over something complicated! Any help would be great!
Thanks, Craig
It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson
CK
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I would say that you want bearings that look just like the originals. I haven't touched a 292 but a hole like that would be for providing some lubrication to some other part. Your rod bearing gets its lubrication form the crankshaft under pressure. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 159 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 159 | I agree that bearings that are just like original would be best. . .Would I be safe carefully filing a notch in the new ones? The material is soft enough to do so easily and then deburred with emery cloth. Any thoughts?
It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson
CK
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 | Use a small-diameter chainsaw file and carefully file a small notch in alignment with the slot in the connecting rod. If you file from the inside to the outside of the bearing, you'll be less likely to raise a burr that could score the crankshaft. When the oil hole in the crankshaft aligns with the slot in the bearing, it spits a little oil onto the cylinder wall. The primary purpose of the hole is to keep the piston skirt from scuffing while the engine is loaded heavily. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |