The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gazz, klhansen, Peggy M, tclederman), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,473
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Hi All,

I didn't manage to get the body off this weekend, but ended up working on getting all of the glass out of the truck in tact. I managed to get all pieces out and they look in pretty good shape. I tried taking the seal out of the stainless piece that has the thumb push on it, and then realized, 'can I get a replacement piece for this'? (It's the piece that slides into the stainless channel and rubs against the fixed side of the glass) Also, it was a total pain to get out and I had to bend the side out pretty good. Any help in how I should attach this would be appreciated.

Last edited by pplummer; 06/15/2009 1:21 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

My 1954 Chevrolet Suburban has different styles of window pulls and vertical stainless steel bars (the bars with the whiskers are on the stationary glass on 1954 Chevrolet Suburbans).

However, it might help you to know that Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc. had whiskers that I was able to adapt to my vertical bars.

They are an excellent company and very helpful over the phone. They helped me match-up an adaptation of one of their whiskers.

Their catalog has to be downloaded. If you make an order, ask for a copy of their catalog. It is an excellent resource for odd parts. All of its drawings are full-scale (making comparison easy).


Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 99
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 99

Last edited by Dogs51Burb; 06/16/2009 6:45 PM.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Thanks guys. I'll put in my order tomorrow. Did you notice how tough it was to get those pieces out of the channel. Dang! My are really rusted in there

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

It took me an average of 4 hours of careful and tedious work per channel to completely remove the old whisker strips.




Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Hey Guys, this restoration and supply company has everything! Do you guys have a shopping list from them to get everything to redo the windows? I know people aren't so happy on these other kits from Carter, etc. I'd just like to order it all from Restoration specialties


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0