The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (ShopRag, Bill Hanlon, fonz8261), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,337
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
Alright....

For some reason my truck isn't wanting to turn over. I've gone through and cleaned up my grounding connections clear down to shiny metal and replaced my batt to frame ground strap with a 2 gauge cable (the frame to engine block ground strap was just cleaned up, and not replaced) This improved the condition from not turning over at all, to turning over only once or twice.

I've measured to voltage of my battery right before trying to start, and it reads around 5.8 volts. Is this enough?? I'm planning to replace the positive cable (not sure what size it is, probably around 4 gauge) with a bigger 2 or 1 gauge. But if that doesn't help what then? what would one have to do to rebuild the original 6 volt starter? I suspect that this might be PART of my problem. I know that lots of places sell rebuilt starters, but I'm trying to save a few bucks. I've looked around at some of the usual parts websites, but no one seems to carry a 54' starter rebuild kit (same goes for a generator rebuild kit. would it be just the brushes?).... HELP!

Something that might help to diagnose the problem. I recently jumped my 6-volt system with a 12-volt Batt. When doing this is turned over geat! (no surprise) but could I have damaged something?


Bryan
1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Before I went to the trouble of rebuilding the starter I would make darn sure your battery is not the problem. If I remember correctly, a bad battery (not one with a shorted cell) will read almost the same voltage as a good one. 5.8 volts doesn't sound high enough. Have someone due a current test. Also, someone like "Atomarc" should be along who will correctly know what a 'hot' 6-volt battery reads in a static condition. Good luck.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 67
sounds like a weak battery to me, it might hold 6 volts until you put a load on it(starter draw) and thgen it falls on its face, get it tested at a parts store.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Any single lead-acid cell will read 2.1 volts, so a fully-charged 6 volt should read 6.3 volts. It's also a good idea to check the acid strength with a hydrometer (the glass tube with a rubber squeeze bulb and a weighted float inside). Full-charge specific gravity should be somewhere between 1.2675 and 1.300. A battery with specific gravity below 1.250 is too discharged to load test. A totally discharged battery will have a gravity reading below 1.100.

With the load of a normal starter cranking the engine, not a draggy or shoirted one, a 6 volt battery's terminal voltage should not drop below 4.5 volts. If it does, you've probably got internal problems in the starter. A starter running with no engine cranking load should not drop battery voltage below 5 volts.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 181
Hooked up my multi-meter to the battery to see what happened to the voltage when I tried to start the truck. Sure enough, it dropped below 1 volt when I hit the starter.... Sounds like a new battery is in the cards for me. Thanks for the help guys!


Bryan
1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0