The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, Snowman51, klhansen, Bill Hanlon, cmayna), 59 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,501
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
I am gearing up to do the brakes on my '71 C10 and I have run into a bit of a dilemma. This truck has manual brakes and after running to various parts stores all that keeps coming in is a master cylinder that is for a truck with power brakes. In the stores they don't even list an option for manual brakes in their computers. As a reference, this is the one I need and this is the one I keep getting. The one for power brakes will bolt up, the lines will hook up, but the piston bore is shorter and the sizes of the reservoirs are different. So, will the power brake master cylinder work on my truck or will I need to keep hacking away until I finally get the one I need? The really big problem is that I need to do the brakes now, they are starting to fail but this truck is my sole transportation so I can't be sitting here waiting a whole lot longer. I'm tempted to just bolt up the MC for power brakes and give it a shot, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions first.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I checked the Napa catalog & sure enough it doesn't show anything for manual brakes. The size of the cylinder bore would be the big factor. If the bore of the replacement is larger it would be no good. It takes a lot of pressure to operate disc brakes. With a larger cyl it would take more. If it is the same or smaller it would work. Maybe you could take the casting number off the old cyl. & a good parts man could match it up. If you could get a kit they are not that hard to rebuild.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Bears63, your 71 is the first year for front disc brakes, does it have front discs, or is it still all drum brakes? The master cylinder listed for a 1970 C10 with manual brakes is Napa p/n UP36239 $78.49 thats a new cylinder, they also list p/n SS4736239 $37.49 also a new cylinder, and p/n TS101329 $29.89 + $11.10 core that is a reman. cylinder, these are all 1" bore. 1971 C10 with power brakes [no non power brake option listed] p/n UP36280 $71.49 that is a new master cylinder, also p/n SS4736280 $37.49 also a new cylinder, and p/n TS1013399 $26.79 + 11.10 core, that is a reman. cylinder, and p/n TS101511 $34.99 + $16.70 core, also a reman. cylinder, these are 1 1/8" bore, hope that helps.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
My truck does have the front disc brakes. Also, the info that I have is that both master cylinders I was looking at have the same 1 1/8" bore size. I had looked at '69 and '70 master cylinders and the size difference was considerable, to the point that I wasn't comfortable trying them out. I think I will try out the one I have and see what happens. I am definitely going to take down the casting number off the old one and hold onto it though. Thanks a lot for the info, guys. It's appreciated!


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
Just found out some interesting info today. There is a reason why there is no manual brake master cylinder option listed for a '71 1/2 ton. Although there are 2 styles of master cylinders they are both 100% interchangeable. So long as the part is for a 1/2 ton pickup it will work just fine with either manual or power brakes. So, I went through all the hassle of running around for the "right" master cylinder when I had the right one from the start. Well, now I know and I had to let everyone else know too.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0