| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (classicfins, Donf, 1 invisible),
72
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#53449 12/13/2005 10:40 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 96 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 96 | Hi, I am about to buy a chevy Caprice 1981 as a donor for my 1942 Pickup. I been looking for the exact width of the rear-end but can't find it . I would like to put the whole engine, trans and rear-end in my pick-up. Do you think this is an good idea ? Would I be able to use the front-brakes out of the caprice ?
All the Best,
Jan in Belgium, Europe | | |
#53450 12/14/2005 7:00 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | Does it have the 305 engine? I am thinking that will be a tight fit in the 42 engine compartment and might require moving the steering box, etc.
The front end on the caprice is way different from the 42. The suspension is way better and I doubt you can use the brakes, although, some one does sell a disc brake adapter kit for some drum brake 1/2 ton trucks. But I think its mostly from 48-59 trucks.
Is your truck a half ton? | | |
#53451 12/14/2005 8:17 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | People put V8s in 42s (and earlier) all the time. It will fit, but will take some work. Check the gallery, I'm sure you can find some examples. | | |
#53452 12/14/2005 4:25 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 96 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 96 | Thanks,
Does anybody knows the width of caprice rear-end ?
All the Best
Jan | | |
| |
| |