The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gray_Ghost), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
Hi,
I am about to buy a chevy Caprice 1981 as a donor for my 1942 Pickup.
I been looking for the exact width of the rear-end but can't find it . I would like to put the whole engine, trans and rear-end in my pick-up.
Do you think this is an good idea ?
Would I be able to use the front-brakes out of the caprice ?

All the Best,

Jan in Belgium, Europe


Don't waste water, drink wine !

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Does it have the 305 engine? I am thinking that will be a tight fit in the 42 engine compartment and might require moving the steering box, etc.

The front end on the caprice is way different from the 42. The suspension is way better and I doubt you can use the brakes, although, some one does sell a disc brake adapter kit for some drum brake 1/2 ton trucks. But I think its mostly from 48-59 trucks.

Is your truck a half ton?

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
People put V8s in 42s (and earlier) all the time. It will fit, but will take some work. Check the gallery, I'm sure you can find some examples.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 96
Thanks,

Does anybody knows the width of caprice rear-end ?

All the Best

Jan


Don't waste water, drink wine !

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0