| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,464 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 | I have my 46 chevy truck tore down to the bare frame,and had to change the rear cross member out because the old one was bent up pretty bad.When I removed the crossmember and the rear spring brackets I could not get over how much rust was behind there.I am getting ready send it off to the sand blaster but in the back of my mind I cant keep thinking about what might be behing the bellhousing mount and the front crossmember that the sand blaster will not be able to get to.Is wise just to leave it at that or should I take the rivets out and remove one at a time blast it prime and paint it and bolt it back in and move to the next one.Thanks for your advice on this | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | My truck is a '53 but my front cross member is bolted on, no rivets. Mine was full of dried out mud, a good sized shovelful at least. I did not take any rivets out anywhere. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | It's up to you, without seeing the frame its hard to make that call. Chances are that the stuff under the cab and greasy engine are OK, it's just the tail end out in the weather that got rusty.
I'd be a little hesitant to replace the rivets with bolts though. Be best to re rivet everything back together. If you do use bolts use flanged frame bolts and the flanged self locking nuts. Most big truck and trailer parts places have or can get them, and they are not real cheap.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Just use common sense. You don't want to remove any crossmember that won't be in the way as you build your bolt. You certainty don't want to weaken your frame. You probably know that though. I left those crossmembers that would not interfere with my project and didn't worry about what rust was between them and the frame. Unless it appears to affect overall structure of the frame don't sweat it.
~Jim
| | |
| |
| |