The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I am considering adding an A/C and heater system (hidden in dash with speaker vents) to the old fire truck. It does get cold in the winter and hot in the summer in Va. Beach. It would be nice if I could stay warm or cool while driving that truck. I've froze to death last winter with no heat...

So has anyone had any experiance with the American Classic, JCarter or Chevy's of the 40's sold units? I'd think getting a kit from one of them would be the best way to get a reliable system in the truck. Anybody want to help me with this one BEFORE I spend $1,000 or so on something that will be a pain in the rear?


Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I used a one unit Vintage-Air & i,m not real thrilled with it. I would look at one of the other brands.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
What didn't you like? I've found their web site and they look like they are legit.


Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,m shure it,s a good co. They are probably #1 in that type thing. One of the control switches broke before i got it in. They sent me a new one but it set me back several days. When I use the a/c in the afternoon & turn on the heat the next morning the whole cab fogs up. I have to pull over & wipe the windows cause I am blinded.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
But does it keep your truck cool? How about warm in winter? I know it gets cold in Kansas...

Right now there isn't even a heater in my truck. Gets realy cold and seems to take some of the joy out of a nice January drive. It's hotter than heck in a parade around here in July too! That is really my question. I'm not sure about an A/C unit in a bigbolt firetruck but a heater might just do the trick! Anybody put in an A/C unit?


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
just a thought. have you considered installing a stock heater in the stock location and doing tha a/c install with a underdash unit mounted under the passenger seat? looks stock, and controls are down near the floor.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Yes. I have considered installing a stock heater in the truck. I've found one on ebay with a 6 volt motor. I've emailed the seller who can put a 12 volt in it.

As for an A/C unit under the seat, I had not considered that. I guess, I mostly wanted to (for about the same price)see if it was worth putting in a combination heater/A/C unit. Plus my wife told me she "wasn't riding in a hot summer parade at 5 MPH unless the truck has A/C!" I'm going to miss her... That was a joke but she really said it! :-)

Anyway, I do not like the idea of changing the original look/layout of the engine compartment but with the non-original 261 motor already in there, it seemed like a good idea to look at the A/C option. I ordered one from Stovebolt web sponsor "American Classic" last night. When it arrives, I'll see what it looks like and make a final decision on A/C or just a stock heater.

Follow up Note: I spoke with them today and cancelled the A/C order as I need to do more research before I spend money I don't really want to spend.


Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
I installed AC/Heat in a nova wagon. The system worked like it was supposed to, but I was not at all happy with the service or advice I got from the company I used. I bought from Classic Auto Air. I learned a ton, and would be glad to help you if you have specific questions.

Most all of the units are the same Vintage Air, Classic Auto, or some package deal from a supplier like Jcarter. The technology isn't any different, just the label on the box. I ended up spending ~$1500 when I was done.


More Later

Justin
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I bought my a/c-heater kit from Patrick's and they got it from Vintage, Classic, antigue or another similar outfit. Their kit includes the regular stuff (condensor, dryer, evaporator, heater core/fan motor,plenum, vents, hose, controls) as well as brackets, an auxilary fan, fan relay and hoses you cut to fit and get the ends clamped on elsewhere. I didn't seem to me that you'd save any money going directly to the people who assemble the kit vs a reseller. If the price is the same I'd suggest going with someone who has installed several of them and seems friendly on the phone 'cause you might want to call them in the middle of the install. That's why I went with Patrick's, though there are probably other similar outfits that might offer the same service.

Patrick's kit and all the others seem to use the same plenum that bolts to the bottom of the dash on the passanger side and has vents and controls in it. The other parts are pretty standard stuff, a sanden compressor, dryer, condensor, evaporator, vent hose, lines, etc...

SO, theoretically, you could put together the kit yourself and just order the controls you like from someone like Vintage or Classic who sells them separately and the bracket from Patrick's or Chevy Duty, or fabricate one yourself. Maybe a local shop could put together something for you and do the install on the same terms the machine shop put together the engine, (i.e. donation as a deductible business expense)


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
FYI: I made the decision not to put in A/C but go with the original type fresh air heater alone.

Anyone know where the heater hose comes thru the firewall? There seems to be several holes in the firewall but I'mm not sure which ones are the proper ones. All the "extra" holes are being filled in and welded over. Any pictures of heater hose coming thru the firewall on a 2 ton 1951? Thanks again for all the help.



Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0