The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,589
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#517995 03/17/2009 6:29 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Who has done this swap? Can I use the mounts from the donor '81 1/2 tonner? Will the thermatic fan fit behind the AD radiator? I think I'll want electric fans anyway. Opinions? What else might confuse me?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Okay, next question then: What should the plug gap be on the '81 250 I6?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
The shop manual says .035 plug gap for a 1981 250.
You could use the original 250 mounts, but they would need some cutting/welding/fab work on the frame side.
The radiator will have to move forward and down to accomodate the 250 fan.
I believe the fan on the 250 will be about 4 inches or so lower than your 216 fan. (measuring from the crank centerline)


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Thank-you. The old plugs came out clean at .045-.050, and the new ones went in at .038. So I guess my timing will be a little reatrded from spec, but that's okay by me as I like to lug my engines: I imagine it gets me fuel economy. I'll let you know about that tomorrow, as I have a 250 mile trip to knock off through the coast mountains, and on the return leg I'll be loaded to around 1000 lbs.

So if I delete the belt-driven fan on installation and use electric fans, will there be clearance?


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Tight behind. I have a pusher in front of the rad.

http://www.chuckthetruck.com/page26.html

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Thanks, Chuck. Is your bellhousing in the same spot, or has the engine been positioned back a bit? I'd like to keep my stomp starter.

Your site, by the way, is nicely set up (not that I'm much of a judge), beautifully written... (that, I am in a position to judge: I, too, was educated at the end of a yardstick by penguins. Do you think it doesn't show?) ...but page 26, at least, is so rife with techspeak that it is barely comprehensible to a Doctor of Just Plain Truckin', such as my ownself. Even so, I enjoyed what I have read, and I will be getting to the rest. But right now it's 04:30 and I have a promise to keep.

Where the heck is your garage? I want to leave Epic #2 there for a bit...


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
I have no clue where the bellhousing was originally; the truck had a 230/3 speed/open driveline when I got it. I did bump out the front of the floor for bellhousing clearance, and I ran a stock-type fixed fan when I first put it on the road. The fan had about 3/4" clearance with the rad mounted inside the horse collar, instead of on the rear face as intended.

http://www.chuckthetruck.com/page16.html


Thanks for the compliments.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0