| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,695 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 18 | Would anyone know when certain chassis stopped using the almost universal 3/4ton style IFS(not torsion)? I hear my '62 could use anything '63 on up to '87. I know the normal cutoff for 3/4ton is '87 but I hear suburban front x-members are usable until '91. I have access to a 1989 g20 3500 series cargo van (8 lug wheels all around), any chance this is the same as the suburban due to the fact is "heavy duty"???
Also, does anyone have a picture of a stripped x-member that they've installed onto their '60 or older truck? Anything from a later ('89-'91) model suburban would be awesome! Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | they used the 87 frt end up to 91 in the suburbans and changed it out earlier on other models so it is not an upgrade on earlier versiona. I doubt that the van frt end is the same 60-62 is diffeent from 63-66 due to width of the frame, but the newer ones will still go in. just a few more holes to drill I think ron | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The G series vans were the same up to '95, however, while the basic suspension is the same, the steering linkage is different due to the location and angle of the steering box. On the truck side of things, the Suburbans and some models of pickups, mainly 4 door crew cab 1 tons and also Cab and Chassis models, used the '73-'87 style frame until '91.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 18 | I'm okay with the difference in steering because that may prove to be an advantage. Also, knowing the hub distance is farther apart in the G vans vs. the pickups is a good thing as well. I don't however know the distance in width vs. the two.
I'm not working with your standard pickup. My '62 is a dubl-duti, check out the link in my signature to see a few pics. I'd just like to be able to tuck a wheel and tire under my "fender"
thanks for the help guys | | |
| |
| |