The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (49nut, moparguy, ndkid275, Barry Martak, tclederman, kades51, 1 invisible), 78 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505348 02/13/2009 1:04 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
hey all,
Time to replace the tires that came with my '58 panel. I'm going with steel belted and wondering what's the conventional wisdom on size? Thanks. Dave in Pa.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
Messed up- I'll take the body shop question the the appropriate forum. Dave

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
215/75/15 is the current modern equivalent. I would advise looking into a truck type tire over a passenger rated, though. Or even better, go with a 235/75/15 LT, which will carry the load better.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
After shopping brands and sizes all over, and consulting fellow 'Bolters (Longbox55), I bought new Goodyear P235/75R15 Wranglers on my 1950 1/2 ton last weekend. They ride smooth and handle great. I also wanted a tire that filled up the wheelwell better than what I had so I went with this bigger, taller tire and am really pleased. It has a more aggressive truck-like tread design than an true passenger car tire, but it looks great on the old Stovebolt.

Hope this helps.

Spot


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Hey Spot,

What's the diameter of those tires?

OOPS! Never mind... 28.8" according to the Goodyear site.

Last edited by Czechman; 02/15/2009 9:58 PM.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
A fellow 'bolter, Bill Jesse, in Canada told me that a tire in the close vacinity of 30" dia. is what you want in order to fill the wheelwell. I would have considered going to a P235/80R15 for height but it wasn't available. Don't know if they make it or not, but the 75R is close enough for me.

I know many 'bolters want to go bias ply for that original look and ride, but I opted for radials that track true and ride smooth even on uneven or grooved roads. They sure are nice and I'm happy with the look.

Spot


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
thanks guys, dave

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
I currently run Cooper WW Radials on my '53. 235/75/15 on tubeless rims off a '50's Suburban with the inside clips so I can keep my original hubcaps. I took it out for a drive with my gps to test the speedometer. My speed was dead on from 15-55 mph. I used to roll on the original 16" rims with Allstate tubes and Allstate repop 600x16 tires. Bias tires never felt safe and were very expensive to replace over the years.


1953 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster 3-Window
"Pride isn't in having. It's in taking care of what you have."
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hey thar Woody, were'd ya find that Goodyear site? Been diggin' but taint turned up the right one.
TKS,
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Kellly Springfield has a Safari CSR tire that looks alot like an old bias truck tire, but in a radial. Too bad you can only get it in a 16 or 19.5. Goodyear has a Workhorse tire that has a similar that I've seen, but I believe it's only available in 16 and up.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
I just replaced the bias ply tires on my 51. I live in a hot dry climate, so drying/cracking is a consideration. By combining Consumer Reports, and the reviews from several local tire stores, I decided that the Yokohama Geolander LT in 235/70/15 was the best choice. The ride and handling is just wonderful. They look good, and can handle loads.


1951 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by Whitedog
Kellly Springfield has a Safari CSR tire that looks alot like an old bias truck tire, but in a radial. Too bad you can only get it in a 16 or 19.5. Goodyear has a Workhorse tire that has a similar that I've seen, but I believe it's only available in 16 and up.

I too like the bias ply look. Take a look at "Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor". They have a "square corner".


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0