Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,311 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 46 | I have posted before and am having a hard time deciding how to update the suspension on my truck. I am considering using a dropped axle from cen pen and a power steering kit from classic performance products. If I use this approach I will remove 2 or 3 of the original leafs out of the spring pack and also use a good quality set of shocks. The only thing about the straight axle is i will be using a small block and automatic power train and figuring out the right drive line angles and placement can be tricky. Seeing as I have limited welding skills the bolt in mustang 2 crossmember from chassis engineering seems attractive if I use this approach i will use a manual rack and pinion. what should I do Please Help? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Believe me you are not the first person facing this delima and you are bound to get many opinions on what to use. You have to deside what you want to truck to look & ride like when you're finished. If you have limited skills another less expensive option is the narrowed IFS from a 73-87 full size pickup. I've done this swap on my '50 3600 and it's not dificult at all to do and cost's considerablly less. But when its all said and done, do what pleases you.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I would personally stay with the beam axle, especially since the frame is already setup for it. That will take out alot of the fabrication issues. As far as the engine/drivetrain angles, you will have that issue regardless of what front suspension you use. You might also consider checking out the Mono-Leaf conversion from Patricks for lowering.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Like has been posted,its all in what results you are looking for. On my 55 I installed a TCI M2 frontend complete with power R&P steering.That gave me the ride and handling I was looking for. A little on the expensive side tho.If you want a great ride and handling I would suggest the M2 setup. A lot of the people here have used a dropped front axle and they like that setup.If I ever do another one I will go the same route again, M2. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 27 | I put a Heidts M2 in my truck but I am still trying to install my 82 chevy steering collumn . I don't know if I can use the sifting linkage on it or not. I am having trouble with the linkage arm hitting the headers. Dale how did you do your steering collumn.John
Wanabe Mechanic
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 117 | I used TCI MII on my 57 and it rides and handles better than my wifes 96 Grand Prix. Just used a Sid's 3" dropped beam on the 50 and it's way more old skool kool. Mustang II for ride, straight axle for kool! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | Same here with Sids Drop Axle. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | I used TCI M11 in our 53, love it. It was our first try at welding up a new suspension, asked lots of questions, took our time, measured more than a few times, everything came out fine!! Yes it is expensive, but well worth it! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 52 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 52 | On my 54 I used Durant 3" drop mono-leafs with a CenPen 3" drop axle. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | jk55boy,I installed a Billet Specialties steering column,and Borgenson joints,and shaft.It worked out very good for me.Oh yeah, I also went to blockhugger headers to make the install easier.I am fortunate to have a good hotrod shop within an hours drive from home.And also A guy in the next town who has built many streetrods,and has given me advice when I get stumped. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 | think i am keeping my i-beam axle for two reasons first if i wanted a new car with independant front i would have gotten one the handling and feel of the original is part of the reason i got the truck i did, secondly if you go with a independant you have destroyed yet another old frame you can always undo a dropped front but an independant there is not return from so at a later date if you sold it next owner would never be able to make an all original
1937 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 239 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 239 | What are you going to do with the rest of the truck? It needs to be built as a package. I would do a dropped axle, but I'm good with a 235, granny 4 speed, no radio, simple heat, and stock trim. If you're going billet everything, 10,000 watt stereo, aftermarket A/C, shiny paint, and a crate motor an IFS would be more appropriate. It's all in the package.
Devin
If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck
55 3100 63 Corvair Monza 64 El Camino 72 240Z 01 Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 | i used one os SID's 3 inch dropped front axles... and i love it. http://droppedaxles.com/leonard | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 348 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 348 | IF YOU WANT IT ON THE GROUND MUSTANG II, IF YOU WANT IT LOWERED TRADITIONAL STYLE DROPPED AXLE | | |
| |