Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (TUTS 59, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Jon G, Rick Brown, Wally / Montana),
98
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,594 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 | I'm looking for rust repair panels for the bottom edge of the body between the door and the rear wheel well,then from the rear wheel well to the rear bumper.Are there aftermarket panels available? or repair panels for the fleetside bed I can modify?
-Tim | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 106 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 106 | bigtim -
If you find tham, please let the 100's of us other guys and gals that are looking for them know about it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | no, there are no repro panels available for the TF panel/burb quarters
yes, you could waste 90% of a fleet bedside to make the repair, but you're better off to just get at it and fab up new pieces for the rotten areas, you'd have to do some of it anyway as the fleetside is slightly different around the wheel openings .... cutting pieces from a pair of front fenders for that can be as much help
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 | Thanks for the replies,might have to buy a long fleetside bed to sacrifce for the cause. -Tim | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | good luck  Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 | Tim,
Here is a "cut and paste" from a 2007 post I made here. My 55.2 Burb is in the Gallery if you want to see the finished product:
I went through the same problem with my 55 2nd series Suburban (same as your '57). Here is a post I put up on the Napco Power Pak Forum. My sheetmetal is complete and it worked out great:
For those of you who are wondering where to find the crucial sheetmetal parts you will need to patch up your Burb, here is what I did:
-For the cab steps, I bought from Classic Parts (formerly Chevy Duty). These were high quality with no mod's required. I also got the under step braces from them too. These braces were not quite as long as the originals, but worked fine.
-For the side area between the front door and the rear fenderwell, I bought lower door replacement panels, because they have the same curve as the body. For the bottom of the side panels I bought rocker panel replacement pieces. All of these pieces were also from Classic Parts.
-For the rear fenderwell lip, I took a sawzall and cut the lip from the fenderwell of a rust-free 55-66 stepside bed. The stepside has the exact same fenderwell lip as the fleetside and the Suburban.
-For the rear quarterpanel, I found a pair of NOS rear quarter replacement panels from a 60-66 chevy fleetside bed. These panels are still available through several companies. Even though the fenderwell lip is different, the wheelwell shape is identical as is the curve of the rear panel. All you have to do is cut off the lip from the 60-66 panel and weld on the lip from the stepside bed.
I'm sure there are other ways to patch up a Burb, but this is what worked for me.
If you want to see pictures of the sheetmetal replacement and other pic's of my Suburban, do a search for the Napco Powr Pak Forum and join up. Search for posts by Virginian (me) and you will find a lot of pic's/tips for your burb. I think the forum is at napcopowrpak.com.
Hope this helps, George | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | George, thanks for that info, I think Bill would agree that your method is the least damaging to existing trucks. Except for the stepside, which are more plentiful that fleetside, you used all aftermarket, Good job. All you boys keeep your eyes open for all those trailers made from fleetside and stepsides. better to use them than a whole truck. And of course aftermarket door skins, or donor door skins. Cutting up one truck to save another is a classic "catch 22". If we had the entire lip of the wheel well we could make the rest. The sides of the 55-59 panel and burbs are simple curved shapes. And as described, can be gotten from aftermarket skins. the punch and die would be about $10,000 to $15,000 to stamp a wheel well lip. A coordinate measuring machine can run across an actual part from a burb or panel and transfer the shape digitally to a mill to make punch and die. Not much design cost. there is also hydro-forming and other methods. Anybody want to make an investment and be the sole source for all 55-59 panel and burb repair lip panels in the universe? If you are a real genius you could make both sides with one set of tools and slice it down the middle. Somebody out there in Stoveville has a big modern machine shop and can make the tools cheaper than what I estimated. Who is it?
Last edited by bartamos; 02/04/2009 7:37 AM.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 | After some of thought and catalog shopping, I've come up with the idea of using a lower door patch panel with the replacement rocker panel welded to the bottom and modified to fit the curve. If you look at the profiles of the two (the door and rocker) next to it, it has the same curve you would need to get you up about a foot up from the bottom of the rusted spot. These patch panels very from 7" to a foot and a half tall. The rocker is a good line match to the lower edge of the fender. Just cut it, bend it, weld the two together and grind'er on down. Granted I haven't tried it yet, but that is my plan for this spring. These are some examples, and I always see them on ebay. Check it out let me know if I'm crazy. I figured it's better than bondo or starting from scratch. http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ODB5900http://www.grumpystruckparts.com/item329077.ctlghttp://www.grumpystruckparts.com/item390597.ctlg | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 36 | Sorry guys, I didn't see George's post. I didn't want you to think I was a copy cat. By the way George, sweet burb. I hope mine will turn out that slick. Bongo | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | nothing new under the sun Bongo, you n George are just both doin what needs to be done .... doesn't matter what the name is on the tin patches, won't be any easier, just gotta dive in - startin's the hard part  Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 | Thanks Bongo. Good luck with your restoration.
Keep an eye on the rocker replacements when you shop for them; some have a rounded bottom that doesn't match the stock rocker exactly.
Take care, George | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 42 | George-Thanks for the info on your burb ,very helpfull,I have located an incomplete(no tailgate or floor)long fleetside bed for $200 apparently the bottom edge is rust free,hoping to pick it up this weekend. Tim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 | My company is in the works for making patch panels for the burb and panel trucks. I do not have pricing yet. They are being made by a guy who makes them by hand. If people were to drop me emails and put deposits. I can make up an order. If I am to put an order in. I will do so once the snow fully melts so, I would say a months time. I am having the first set made for my ambulance 1955 gmc. Email me at [email protected]. I will at some point carry other parts. I do have some patch panels listed. I also can get most anything made for the 47-53 burb and panel trucks Thanks and I hope this may help.. Poets Seat AutoAppraisals, Parts, ServicePast: General Motor's Master Technician Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck ClubPhone Number: 413.774.5856 Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 | ok, I am ready to start work on thes patch panels. but, there is a problem The panel truck I have does not have enough original metel left to make the panel behind the rear tire. If someone Has a panel with minor rust that is willing to cut that panel out. I will use it as a patern and Give them the new panel at cost! If anyone is intersted please contact us at [email protected]thanks Poets Seat AutoAppraisals, Parts, ServicePast: General Motor's Master Technician Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck ClubPhone Number: 413.774.5856 Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.
| | |
| |